Sharing & Permissions within Workspaces

Options

I have a Workspace created that houses a number of different dashboards, sheets and reports. If I share the entire workspace with a group of people, is it possible to go in and remove them from select dashboards/reports? Most users will have access to all assets but there are certain pieces we'd like to restrict access on. I'm hoping this is an option so that I don't have to share individual pieces within the workspace. Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Chelsea LeBlanc

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Krystle McMaster
    Options

Chelsea - I hope you submitted a request. It would be helpful to adjust access on specific documents as needed. It's a little unwieldy to store something related to a given project in a different workspace.

• Barbara K
    Options

I agree I have a sheet for a specific project that I need to store separately because while most of the project data is available to a group of people, permissions on this particular sheet need to be restricted for data protection purposes.

While most of the time it makes sense that everyone in a workspace can see everything added, tt would be useful to be able to tailor permissions within a workspace when necessary.

• Allyson Sullivan
    Options

Hi, I am still looking to do the permissions changes within a Workspace described above. Does anyone know if there has been any update on this since 2021/2? I am a full license admin and want to give collaborators access to workspaces for organizational purposes but then update permissions to certain grid sheets within the workspace thereafter.

Thanks!

• Veronica.Cortes
    Options

I'd like to know if there is any progress on this as well. The sharing aspect is a tedious, individual or entire workspace, there should be more flexibility, like either removing from certain items in workspace, or being able to share a folder for example. What is the status?? Two years already waiting for this.

• burguetjf
    Options

So if I understand correctly, we can limit access to single pages but users can still get to them if they look for them in the workspaces ? If so, could you please explain how to have this bypass ? Thanks.

• ABrassil
    Options

Any update on sharing permissions yet?

This seems absurd to me as a new Smartsheet user that they haven't solved for such a basic project sharing requirement? Sharing permissions must be flexible across sheets, folders, workspaces, reports etc

Smartsheet developers on here - what are your comments?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @ABrassil

You can share individual items within a Workspace for a second time at different levels than the Workspace permissions.

For example, I could share a Group to have Viewer permissions for a full workspace. Then I can give Marcela Editor access to 3 of the Sheets within that space, so she can view everything but only edit the 3 individual items.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• ABrassil
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thanks for your response but I'm not so much interested in user permission levels of viewer, commentator etc but about restricting visibility on certain items within the workspace that is my concern. Financial project information that might be in the Workspace for instance that team members shouldn't have access to but we want to keep in the workspace for rolling up into top level reports for senior management.

Seems as though anyone who is invited into the Workspace will see everything sheets, reports, dashboards etc?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @ABrassil

Thank you for clarifying your use-case! Yes you're correct, if you share a Workspace with someone then they will see all the items within it.

Instead, you'll want to individually share each item with the correct levels, or have two separate workspaces (one for confidential sheets & items and one for shared items). You can have a Report or Dashboard looking at any sheet in your account, even if they're stored in a different location.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• ABrassil
    Options

@Genevieve P. thanks for the info :)

• EASJacobs
    Options

Come on folks… Restricting individual worksheets within a work space should be an option. We have workspaces with many worksheets that are linked into reports and dashboards. To maintain multiple workspaces with the same information is redundant and prone to mistakes. We need the ability to restrict some worksheets in the workspace to only certain folks in the workspace group. Is this being considered?