Updating parent status from child rows in separate columns

Options
Taci Shinn
Taci Shinn ✭✭
edited 03/04/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hello. I'm looking for a formula to update the Project Type column in a parent row to identify as "Digital" based upon specific contact entries in the Assigned To column in the child rows. For instance:

-child row Task 1: Assigned To Employee A

-child row Task 2: Assigned To Employee A, Employee B, and Employee C

-child row Task 3: Assigned To Employee B, Employee C, and Employee D

Employee A and Employee D=Digital employees (Employees B and C are not digital employees), so:

-Parent rows with any child rows assigned to Employee A or Employee D should appear as "Digital" in Project Type.

-Parent rows that do not have Employee A or Employee D assigned to any child row, the "Project Type" should remain blank.

Example below:

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Taci Shinn

Try this

=IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(Project@row), OR(HAS("Employee A", @cell), HAS("Employee D", @cell)))>0, "Digital")

If the children of your [Project Type] column have their own formula, you can automatically differentiate between the parent and child formulas

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN(Project@row))>0, IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(Project@row), OR(HAS("Employee A", @cell), HAS("Employee D", @cell)))>0, "Digital",<add Child [Project Type] column)) you may need more parentheses depending on your Child formula

cheers,

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Taci Shinn

Try this

=IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(Project@row), OR(HAS("Employee A", @cell), HAS("Employee D", @cell)))>0, "Digital")

If the children of your [Project Type] column have their own formula, you can automatically differentiate between the parent and child formulas

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN(Project@row))>0, IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(Project@row), OR(HAS("Employee A", @cell), HAS("Employee D", @cell)))>0, "Digital",<add Child [Project Type] column)) you may need more parentheses depending on your Child formula

cheers,

Kelly

• Taci Shinn
    Options

Thank you so much! I made one tweak to the column reference, but this works gloriously!

The tweak I made was to change the column from [Project] to [Assigned To]:

=IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN([Assigned To]@row), OR(HAS("Employee A", @cell), HAS("Employee D", @cell)))>0, "Digital")

Appreciate your help!

• Taci Shinn
    Options

Actually, I made one additional tweak as the search range and criteria were transposed. Thanks again!

=IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN([Assigned To]@row), OR(HAS(@cell, "Employee A"), HAS(@cell, "Employee D")))>0, "Digital")

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!