Missing Data on Dashboards

Has anyone experienced Dashboard reports showing Missing Data all of the sudden? Reports have been on the Dashboard for months with no recent changes, however yesterday over 50 reports started showing as Missing Data. Reports were created from Sheet Summary data.

Answers

• Hi @Jill Schoenwandt

This error can appear if the user that created the widget no longer has access to either the dashboard or the source item. To resolve this, edit and save the widget. This should then allow the widget to adopt the permissions of the last person to edit it. 

See the "Note" at the bottom of the Report section on Widgets, here: Widget Types for Smartsheet Dashboards

Let me know if this was the issue! If not, you may want to reach out to Smartsheet Support with screen captures, dashboard names, and the email address of the user who created the reports/widgets.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Thanks so much for the response - I am the creator of the reports and no edits were made to them prior to seeing this issue. I will reach out to Support.

• Kayla
    Kayla ✭✭✭✭✭

Providing an update here for anyone else that has/does experience this issue. Per Smartsheet Support, this is expected behavior. It's extremely time consuming and frustrating to have to rebuild widgets or go into each Dashboard and into each widget to take ownership of it. There is turnover in EVERY organization that utilizes Smartsheet. How they have a platform that limits this type of change is mind-blowing.

But as of May 2022, there is no solution, and there doesn't seem to be any concern for it.

• Kayla
    Kayla ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. - the link above, I don't see a "Note" in the link you provided. I do see asterisks, but there is no notation for what this is calling out.

The ONLY information I have found on this "expected" behavior is through the Community. Nothing provided directly by Smartsheet says that (that I can find) when you remove the Dashboard creators shared admin or owner permission access, that you will have to rebuild or relink the widgets.

It's extremely time consuming and frustrating to have to rebuild widgets or go into each Dashboard and into each widget to take ownership of it. There is turnover in EVERY organization that utilizes Smartsheet. How they have a platform that limits this type of change is mind-blowing.

But as of May 2022, there is no solution, and there doesn't seem to be any concern for it.

The workaround I have found for SOME Dashboards is to just make a copy/save as new. But this has cons and manual updates required to it as well depending on how the system is built.

• Hi @Kayla

Dashboard articles have been updated since my original comment; please see this article specific to Report Widgets instead: Removing the user who created a report or chart widget

I would also suggest providing your System Admin with this other article to help with ownership transfers in the future: Use non-destructive transfer to change ownership of sheets, reports, or dashboards

I hope that helps!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now