Restriction to certain row

I am having a sheet that contains of around 250 users.

Would like to check if I share the sheet to everyone, is there anyway for me to restrict to show only the row that assigned to them when they view the sheet.

Or I have to create multiple reports and link to the sheet - I think it's time consuming.

Appreciate if anyone has any idea of doing this.

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/11/21 Answer ✓

Hey @Catherine Liong

A report is one way to share information in a limited format. You would not create a report for every user - you would create a single report and a criteria in the report filter would be a Contact Column which equals 'current user'. You would then share this single report with everyone and they would only see their rows. In your example, the Contact field would be your [Assigned] field. In my example below I used the contact field [email]

Alternatively, if your subscription has access to it, the premier app Dynamic View is a means of restricting what a user can see and edit. More information can be found here

cheers

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/11/21 Answer ✓

Hey @Catherine Liong

A report is one way to share information in a limited format. You would not create a report for every user - you would create a single report and a criteria in the report filter would be a Contact Column which equals 'current user'. You would then share this single report with everyone and they would only see their rows. In your example, the Contact field would be your [Assigned] field. In my example below I used the contact field [email]

Alternatively, if your subscription has access to it, the premier app Dynamic View is a means of restricting what a user can see and edit. More information can be found here

cheers

• Hi @KDM,

I tested with the filter and it works perfectly fine. I have to get the assigned to out from the primary in order to have "has any of" to select on "Current user".

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Catherine Liong

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to KDM's excellent advice/answer.

Be cautious because even though you're using the Current User filter in the report, they can still see everything shared with them.

The Dynamic View add-on is an excellent option, and another one could be WorkApps (depending on your Smartsheet Plan).

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.