Can a non-Licensed user add comments to an item via the Calendar App?

Options
Lorraine Metler
Lorraine Metler ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I'm wondering if a non-licensed SS user is able to add a comment to an item via the Calendar app?

I've published a Calendar App calendar to a dashboard, and then shared this dashboard to a MS Teams channel tab. It is here that I would like non-licensed users to access items in the calendar, click to view more details, and add comments to specific items if they have questions on content using the @ symbol to flag licensed users. Is this possible for non-licensed users??

Thanks in advance

Lorriane

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/23/21
    Options

Hi @Lorraine Metler 

Hope you are fine, please read the following article it will help you

Publish a Calendar

Below the sharing options, you have the opportunity to publish a read-only version of the calendar.

To publish a calendar, switch Publish to ON and copy the URL in the box below to share it with others.

To disable access to a published calendar, switch Publish to OFF and refresh your browser. The old URL will become invalid.

NOTES:

• If the Publish option is ON only, the Calendar View Owner can modify the Calendar directly within the Published Calendar. (Must be logged into the Calendar App)
    • If both Publish and Sharing options are ON, the Owner, Admin, or Editor Shared to the Source Sheet can modify the Calendar directly within the Published Calendar. (Must be logged into the Calendar App).

Sharing vs. Publish

Sharing is limited to individuals who are shared to the sheet or specifically listed in the Allow Emails box. Using the sharing link will require the user to log in. A published link provides access to the calendar to anyone who has the link.

Once you’ve created your Calendar, see Calendar App: Interact With a Calendar for more information on how you can work within a calendar.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Lorraine Metler

A Published Link of your Calendar App will be a View-Only version:

Did you use the "Sharing" link in your Dashboard instead of the Publish link?

If so, the users will need to log in with Smartsheet through the widget in order to make changes (such as add comments) to the Calendar.

Users with Editor sharing permissions (or above) on the Source Sheet for the Calendar will be able to make changes. If you allow specific emails or domains to access the Calendar without sharing the source material, the Calendar will be View-Only.

Does this clarify the issue that your users are having? Or are they shared with Editor permissions to the underlying sheet and you are using the "Share" link?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• HILDA KOSOVICH
    Options

I have a similar issue. I have sharing and publish on and emailed vendor the link. He opened the page, clicked on the event and then asked about open row. How do we NOT SHARE and/or REMOVE 'open row' with outside clients?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @HILDA KOSOVICH

Do you mean this link at the bottom of the Calendar panel window?

If so, when the Published user clicks on this button they'll be prompted to log in to Smartsheet. They will only be able to see the specific row from their Smartsheet account if they are shared to the underlying sheet, so this row is not actually shared to that specific user.

You can test this by copying your Publish URL into an Incognito window of your browser. There currently isn't a way to remove that button or link from the Calendar App, so I would just explain to your collaborator that it's linked to the underlying grid where the data comes from and that there is no need to click this link.

Let me know if I've misunderstood your question and I'd be happy to help further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• HILDA KOSOVICH
    Options

Thank you for your response. May I suggest SS consider removing this button when sheet is being 'shared' to viewer only. We were looking to post this to our employee intranet page however this 'open row' is generating too many emails and questions.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @HILDA KOSOVICH

When using a Published link, the Calendar App is unable to identify what user is looking at the page: they will all be "Published Users". This is why the button then requires a login (to identify the person) before showing the row or not.

However, I understand that you may not want to have this as an option displayed for any viewer, regardless of sharing permissions. If you want to suggest this to our Product Team, please let them know about your feedback by filling in this form, here. I'm sure they'd appreciate hearing about your specific scenario!

Thank you,

Genevieve