Is there a way to replace data in spreadsheet without losing references ?

Dear all,

I have a Table A, created in Excel file, which I uploaded to Smartsheet. I treat it as source material for multiple other sheets in Smartsheet using references, then those are used in Dashboards.

Now, Table A has been updated since, I need to change that in Smartsheet but going 1 by 1 is out of question cause amount of changes is simply too big.

In Excel file I would select all and paste new data. I would need similar thing in Smartsheet, to replace the data inside this spreadsheet so I dont need to update references.

I am looking forward your replies.

Best regards,

Maciej

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/24/21

Hi @Maciej Wekko

I hope you're well and safe!

In my client solutions, I usually create what I call an Import Sheet, and then that is linked to the other sheets, making it simpler to update data, add material, tasks, and similar.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Actually I recently found that I can just import the exactly same file (I mean order of columns) in the same place.

Technically it should work, as above, order of columns was not changed, I added new column and data in some fields.

For some reason it did not work though, I imported new file, went to File with references to it and tried refreshing it. Nothing changed. I tried to look up reference itself and for some reason it still was showing old version of my main file, not the updated version, even though old version does not exist anymore.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Maciej Wekko

No, I don't think you can. If I remember correctly, each time you import an Excel sheet, it will create a new Smartsheet Sheet.

Make sense?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.