If parent card is dragged to later row in roadmap, then children cell value changes.

Colton Long
Colton Long ✭✭
edited 03/31/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hi All. This is very similar to the thread that @Paul Newcome answered on children rows populating / changing a parent row here: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/13326/formula-to-update-status-on-a-parent-row-based-on-any-child-row

However, my situation is opposite. My ask: if I drag a parent card to a further stage on a Kanban card pipeline, can the children tasks' stages be updated so they move as well? I would like to still be able to move them individually after such a move, as they progress at their own pace—this is more a way to move them all at once in the situation we don't want to drag them all individually if we know they all meet criteria. Seems like this could be a formula, but then if the formula is always running, this wouldn't work. Would it need to be a based off a trigger first? HELP!

Let me know if that makes sense. Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure about card view, but I do know that in grid view clicking and dragging to move a parent row will pull all of the descendant rows with it.

• Thanks Paul. The Customer Service rep will not be / have the training to drag and know which rows to change. I thought the card feature could be the solution as it is drag and drop per unique ID, but it seems that if you drag the parent, the children should be able to at least change too. Otherwise hierarchy in card view is not actually a feature or helpful, simply a fancy view.

Is there a way to type a formula based off the drop down stages of parent cards?

Like . . . If parent card modified date is after children modified date (indicate true or false value), If true, then in the children cell, overwrite specific child to match parent cell value, if false, remain the same.

This would be easily possible in Excel or Sheets, which is frustrating.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You would have to have it fully automated in the Child rows. Once someone manually enters data, the formula is removed.

• Colton Long
    Colton Long ✭✭
    edited 04/19/21

@Paul Newcome thank you. I ended up going with this. I created a formula so that parent card controls all children card dropdown values that you see for the Card stage view; however, when you drag an individual child card, it will break this formula (which is appropriate if it ever needs to backtrack individually). Then, the single child card will need to be progressed on its own to completion.

Pasting formula below in case it helps someone.

Step 1: Create Dropdown list. (Values need to remain same or formula will break / need to be updated).

Value 1

Value 2

Value 3

Value 4

Value 5

Etc....

Step 2: Parent cell does not have formula, dropdown list is "master drop-down".

Step 3: Add formula below to a child cell, then drag to all children cells. This is a very simple nested IF formula. All you are doing is changing the child value to the same value of the parent.

=IF(PARENT() = "Value 1", "Value 1", IF(PARENT() = "Value 2", "Value 2", IF(PARENT() = "Value 3", "Value 3", IF(PARENT() = "Value 4", "Value 4", IF(PARENT() = "Value 5", "Value 5", IF(PARENT() = "Value 6", "Value 6", IF(PARENT() = "Value 7", "Value 7", IF(PARENT() = "Value 8", "Value 8", IF(PARENT() = "Value 9", "Value 9", IF(PARENT() = "Value 10", "Value 10", IF(PARENT() = "Value 11", "Value 11", IF(PARENT() = "Value 12", "Value 12", IF(PARENT() = "Value 13", "Value 13", 10)))))))))))))

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If all you are doing is changing the child value to the parent value, you don't even need to use the nested IF statement. You can just use

=PARENT()

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!