Formula for a column vs cell

Options

I have this formula but would like it to be a column formula.

=IF(ISBLANK([Entry ID]1), "Desktop Form", "Mobile App")

The syntax isn't right for me to use it as a column formula, can someone help?

Goal:

Submission Method column will say Desktop Form if the Entry ID column is blank

Submission Method column will say Mobile App if NOT blank.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Christine Maurer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Ruth!

Try this:

=IF([Entry ID]@row = "", "DesktopForm", "Mobile App")

Christine

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ruth Schoonover

You're receiving a 0 in your formula since you are adding together different IF statements with the + symbol. This means that if the first IF statement is false, it will return "" or Blank, which is seen as 0:

IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Denver Water", "Utilities")

Then if this is "", or 0, you're adding this to the beginning of the next statement:

0 + IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Xcel Energy", "Utilities")

Instead, try embedding the IF statements together for a Nested IF statement, like so:

=IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Denver Water", "Utilities", IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Xcel Energy", "Utilities", IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Corey Dobbs", "Rent Received", IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Westerra Credit Union", "Mortgage"))))

Cheers!

Genevieve

Answers

• Christine Maurer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Ruth!

Try this:

=IF([Entry ID]@row = "", "DesktopForm", "Mobile App")

Christine

• Ruth Schoonover
    Options

Worked perfect, thank you!

• Ruth Schoonover
    Options

I have another row formula that maybe you can help with.

=IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Denver Water", "Utilities") + IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Xcel Energy", "Utilities") + IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Corey Dobbs", "Rent Received") + IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Westerra Credit Union", "Mortgage")

It auto fills the cells properly but I start getting a zero before the text. What is causing the 0?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ruth Schoonover

You're receiving a 0 in your formula since you are adding together different IF statements with the + symbol. This means that if the first IF statement is false, it will return "" or Blank, which is seen as 0:

IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Denver Water", "Utilities")

Then if this is "", or 0, you're adding this to the beginning of the next statement:

0 + IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Xcel Energy", "Utilities")

Instead, try embedding the IF statements together for a Nested IF statement, like so:

=IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Denver Water", "Utilities", IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Xcel Energy", "Utilities", IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Corey Dobbs", "Rent Received", IF([Payment To_From]@row = "Westerra Credit Union", "Mortgage"))))

Cheers!

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!