How to write formula to auto check a column

Options

I have a sheet that tracks our AP process. Three of the four types of payment requests we get require another step. One does not.

I would like to have the "next step" column auto check when the "payment request type" is that one anomaly. This can be flied under "are you new here, or what." The answer is , "yes."

I've looked for the answer but the questions that others have asked are MUCH more complicated than what I need.

Answers

• Colton Long
    Colton Long ✭✭
    edited 04/08/21
    Options

I can't type the full formula for you but I know the general logic you might be seeking.

Type this into the checkbox cell. It will need to be in every checkbox cell. So once it works, just drag it down to fill it into all the other checkbox cells.

=iF([Payment Request Type] put the row# = "Are you new here, or what?", 1,0)

This will only automatically check the box if it detects are you new here. Please note, if it doesn't work at first, the spelling will need to match exact, down the comma. Same for the column name "payment request type."

See if that works, then if you need more, you can grow the formula from there.

Also note: if you check this manually, it might overwrite the formula.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Gina Adrien

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Colton's excellent advice/answer.

We can use @row and then convert the formula to a Column Formula.

Something like this.

=iF([Payment Request Type]@row = "Are you new here, or what?", 1,0)

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Gina Adrien
    Options

Thanks all!

This solution automated the one part but made the manual checking of the other three (the initial need for this column) impossible. I learned something, but it looks like I just need to do it the old fashioned way.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Gina Adrien

You're more than welcome!

There might be a workaround.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!