Audit Form / Action Item Tracking

Hello, is there a template for creating audits, assigning action items and tracking those action items to completion? I haven't seen one on the template sets and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for setting up audits using a form and then tracking assigned action items from those audits. Thank you!

Answers

• Hi @Kerry Hurd

There's a template in the Solution Center called "Audit PBC Checklist" (see here). It has a column for the description, for the owner, and for the date completed to track progress. Would this template work for you?

If you're looking for set, including a Report and Dashboard, you may also want to take a look at the "Project Tracking and Rollup" Template Set.

If neither of these work for you, it would be helpful to know a bit more about your specific process and what you're looking to set up. It may even be easiest to build your process from scratch, starting with an empty Grid, instead of using a template.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Kerry Hurd
    Kerry Hurd ✭✭✭

Hello Genevieve,

I had started a sheet from scratch and created the audit forms for each of the process areas in the plant. They work great. We are now trying to figure out how to capture action items from things found in the audit and track them to completion. I had looked at the templates mentioned above but they won't work for this process unfortunately. Is there a way for the Supervisor to add several separate action items to an audit form and then assign a person to complete? Then these action items would go into an action item tracking report through to completion? When I set up a report I could only figure out how to link 1 action item column to the report. If we have 6 action items I couldn't get them all to link.

Thanks!

Kerry

• Hi @Kerry Hurd

If I'm understanding you correctly, then you would want the Supervisor to create a new row for each separate action item. You would have one column to indicate what the action item is, one to indicate who is assigned to it, and a status column. Something like this:

You'll notice there are three separate rows assigned to "Genevieve". You can then create a Report to show all of Genevieve's tasks, or all of the tasks that are currently "In Progress", or all tasks that are due within a certain time-frame.

Is this how your sheet is set up? If I've misunderstood your process, could you post a screen capture of your sheet (blocking out sensitive data) and show me what you mean by multiple, separate action items?

Thanks!

Genevieve

• Kerry Hurd
    Kerry Hurd ✭✭✭

Hi Genevieve,

The way the form and sheet are currently set up is all on one line. That is where I am getting hung up trying to track the action items found. The Supervisor may have a finding in the tower and another in the WHSE on one audit. I may have 4-6 action item columns. I was able to create a report to track action items but can only figure out how to link 1 column in the report. What you have above is what I am looking for but not sure how to create it with the audit we have? Thanks!

• Hi @Kerry Hurd

Since it's housed in the same row, I would personally create multiple Reports.You could have a Dashboard where you can display each type of Report, and create one-report-per-section.

For example, have one "Office Action Items" Report, where you only pull in rows where there is content in the "Action Items - Office Audit" column (and the associated Office columns), and you don't show any of the other columns.

Then, create a second report that only shows rows where there's content in the "Action Items - Alley Audit" column (and the associated Alley columns).

This means that one row could be duplicated in three or four Reports if each section had an action item. Would you like to see screen captures of this or does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• CJani
    CJani ✭✭

@Genevieve P. could you specify if there is a template present for the scenario you have described in one of your responses with the picture

• Hey @CJani

For that specific image, I built it from scratch using the Task List type of starter sheet and adding in some extra columns/conditional formatting:

However if you're looking for templates, I'd suggest browsing our Template Gallery (the + sign on the left)!

Here are some that may be helpful for you:

Cheers,

Genevieve