Date and checkbox formula question with multiple criteria

Hello!

I would like to create a formula which populates a symbol column with the status showing these colors: red, yellow, green, and gray based on the following rules:

If the due date is in the past, and the checkbox column is unchecked, show red in the status column cell

If the due date is within the next 5 days, and the checkbox column is unchecked, show yellow in the status column cell

If the due date is more than 5 days away, and the checkbox column is unchecked, show green in the status column cell

If the checkbox column is checked, regardless of due date, show gray.

Thank you!

Answers

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Shannon Scarbrough,

Try this:

=if(AND([due date]@row < TODAY(),[checkbox]@row=0),"Red",if(AND([due date]@row<=TODAY(5),[checkbox]@row=0),"Yellow",if(AND([due date]@row>TODAY(5),[checkbox]@row=0),"Green",if([checkbox]@row=1,"Gray",""))))

Let me know if it works for you! Be sure your due date column is set as a date column.

Best,

Heather

• Hi @Heather D ,

Thank you! This is the formula I typed in exactly:

=IF(AND([Due Date]@row < TODAY(), [Check if Task has been Completed]@row = 0, "Red", IF(AND([Due Date]@row <= TODAY(5), [Check if Task has been Completed]@row = 0), "Yellow", IF(AND([Due Date]@row > TODAY(5), [Check if Task has been Completed]@row = 0), "Green", IF([Check if Task has been Completed]@row = 1, "Gray", "")))))

I've confirmed is the date column is a date column. I'm getting the incorrect augment set.

• Hi @Heather D

I just got it to work actually - with this formula:

=IF([Check if Task has been Completed]@row = "true", "Gray", IF([Due Date]@row < TODAY(), "Red", IF([Due Date]@row <= TODAY(5), "Yellow", "Green")))

I really appreciate your help!

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Shannon Scarbrough that's a much more concise formula! Nice work!

• @Heather D I'm using Shannon's formula but I keep hitting a road block. I have been big-braining this for awhile but can't figure it out.

I have a column that I want to show if a task is past due or not based on the due date, however, I also want it to take into consideration the status and leave those prior due dates alone that have a complete status..

I am using the above formula and it will use one status type, but I cannot figure out how to get it to do multiple....

Statuses are: Not Started, Complete, and In Progress.

1. For those whose status is "Complete" with a due date that is < TODAY, I want the flag to be blank. (This below formula does that)
    2. For those whose status is "Not Started" or "In Progress" with a due date that is <TODAY, I want the flag to be "Past Due." (The below formula does that)
    3. For those whose status is "Not Started," "In Progress", and "Complete" with a due date that is in the future (> today), I want the flag to be blank.

Number 3 is where I am getting hung up. Here's my formula I am toying with

=IF(Status@row = "Complete", "", IF(Status@row = "Not Started", "Past Due", (IF(Finish@row < TODAY(), "Past Due", IF(Finish@row <= TODAY(5), "Past Due", "")))))

I am pretty sure I need to create another IF(Finish>Today) type but I can't figure it out.

Thank you!

• Amelia Lutz
    Amelia Lutz ✭✭
    edited 08/12/21

@Heather D I think I figured some of it with;

=IF(Status@row = "Complete", "", IF(Status@row = "", "", IF(Status@row = "In Progress", IF(Finish@row = "", "", IF(Finish@row < TODAY(), "Past Due", IF(Finish@row <= TODAY(1), "Past Due"))))))

Although I might be off. See what you think!

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Amelia Lutz !

I think I have a way to simplify it. Here's what I've got:

=if(OR(Status@row = "Complete",Status@row = "",finish@row="", finish@row >TODAY()),"","Past Due")

This translates to:

If EITHER (status is complete, status is blank, finish date is blank, or finish date is in the future), then show blank.

Otherwise, show past due.

This should cover everything. Since the formula stops once one condition is met, it'll catch anything that is complete, has no status, has no finish date, or the finish date is in the future, before it moves on to mark it past due.

Test it out and let me know if it works!

Best,

Heather

• It did, thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!