Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Assigning multiple people to one task (I see this has been asked before)

Isaac Frost
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I read through some of the threads on this subject.  It really is frustrating to not have this feature.  One of the primary reasons we started using smartsheets was to have a living work schedule for our employees at my constuction company.  I would like to create reports that  show where an employee is assigned on a given day for a given project.  That way at any time the employee or manager can look and see where they are working.

For example I have a schedule item called "interior wall framing".  I assign a duration of 9 working days. I would like to assign 2-3 workers to this task.  I don't want the amount of workers assigned to necissarily dictate the duration.  I just want a picture of where everyone is assigned so the whole team is on the same page.

Manually adding lines to the schedule just wont work.  I would have to be editting way too much information everytime I want to make a small change.  Also it confuses the customers who we share the schedule with so they can see how their project is going.

Is there any plans to add what I consider a very basic project management component to this platform?  I really don't want to jump ship but the bottom line is that we are a growing company and I need features that your competitors offer that you do not.

Comments

• Agree with the problem. Need a solution to be able to allocate multiple resources for the same task

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Isaac & Dhiraj

I cannot comment on if/when Smartsheet may be able to offer that functionality maybe an employee can? 

What I can say, is Construction is probably our biggest client group in Smartsheet and your requirement has been echo'd to us numerous times, so we have created a solution that fulfils this requirement by using Appsheet as the Worker Interface, from each workers Smart phone but any device is ok. 

The App knows who they are, so only shows the worker what they SHOULD see,  and not any confidential info, they select the task they are working on, state how many hours done, % completed, any textual details and the work builds up until 100% completed. 

The resultant data is auto collated into Smartsheet just how you have requested and costed against the right project and work package. Especially useful where tradesmen move from one project to another in the same week. 

We have a demonstration of this so can show you the solution, the cost to set it up for you and maintain it, is low and we can show you how to take control of it for all new work. 

The beauty of this for us, is the data stays in Smartsheet with all the benefits retained but using Appsheet with Smartsheet, extends what we can do with Smartsheet in a range of ways we really like. 

Hope that helps?

RichardR 

• David Howard
    edited 05/09/18

Hi Richard,

This doesn't work for my situation. I am in construction and need to assign tasks to future employees that will be tasked to work on a specific task with other future employees. This is not only normal in construction but necessary to schedule manpower. 

First i had to do a workaround to be able to add future workers based on their email address..... created a lot of email addresses so i could reply to them to make them legitimate resource to track. By excavators and dump trucks now have email addresses (I even did my stapler to prove a point). That is a stupid workaround so hours later a task that should have taken minuets took a day!!!!!

Now i find out that i can only assign one person to carry an I-beam??? or have to have 2 lines one for each end?????

With 20 plus people working on the same task that generates time in creating the schedule and bloat in my Gantt. 

I thought this program was for construction too. 

Looking at the Community they have been asking for this from AT LEAST 2015 and on.....

i spend more time trying to find and implement workarounds then doing what I paid the application to do!!!!.

I am stuck using this program because it is a company mandate, so...... FIX IT!!!!!

• Hi,

This doesn't work for my situation. I am in construction and need to assign tasks to future employees that will be tasked to work on a specific task with other future employees. This is not only normal in construction but necessary to schedule manpower. 

First i had to do a workaround to be able to add future workers based on their email address..... created a lot of email addresses so i could reply to them to make them legitimate resource to track. By excavators and dump trucks now have email addresses (I even did my stapler to prove a point). That is a stupid workaround so hours later a task that should have taken minuets took a day!!!!!

Now i find out that i can only assign one person to carry an I-beam??? or have to have 2 lines one for each end?????

With 20 plus people working on the same task that generates time in creating the schedule and bloat in my Gantt. 

I thought this program was for construction too. 

Looking at the Community they have been asking for this from AT LEAST 2015 and on.....

i spend more time trying to find and implement workarounds then doing what I paid the application to do!!!!.

I am stuck using this program because it is a company mandate, so...... FIX IT!!!!!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Yes, assigning multiple people to a task is now available.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/518335-assigning-people-to-a-task

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

--

Hi all,

We're pleased to announce that you can now quickly & easily assign tasks to multiple people. To do so, check the new "Allow multiple contacts per cell" checkbox in any contact column. The cells in that column will then allow up to 20 people to be added.

You can still leave that option unchecked when you only want a single person to be assigned to a task at a time.

Adding multiple contacts to a cell is useful not only for assigning people, but also for other scenarios where you want to associate multiple stakeholders with a row. For example, you might want those people to receive notifications when the row changes, or you may want them to appear in reports and filters.

For some projects, you may want to add 2 contact columns: one for the primary owner, and another for additional team members.

We welcome you to try it out and let us know what you think.

- Daniel

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.