Complex IF statement using columns containing formulas

Hi Everyone,

Hoping there is a solution for this or a different way I can accomplish it.

I have an IF statement in a column where the False portion is a formula referencing two columns that are formulas. I get #Invalid Operation. I know it's due to the false portion based on testing the conditions in the IF statement and just testing out a simple formula rather than the whole IF statement where I subtracted the two columns and got same error.

The formula I'm using in the column with the error is:

=IF(AND(ISBLANK([Start POI]@row), [Rule Type]@row = "Speed Limit"), ([Speed Limit (km/h) Final]@row - [Speed (km/h)]@row), IF(AND(ISBLANK([Start POI]@row), [Rule Type]@row <> "Speed Limit"), "", [Speed Limit (km/h) Final]@row - [POI Speed Limit]@row))

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. Thank you!!

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try:

=IF(AND(ISBLANK([Start POI]@row), [Rule Type]@row = "Speed Limit"), (VALUE([Speed Limit (km/h) Final]@row ) - VALUE([Speed (km/h)]@row)), IF(AND(ISBLANK([Start POI]@row), [Rule Type]@row <> "Speed Limit"), "", value([Speed Limit (km/h) Final]@row) - value([POI Speed Limit]@row)))

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try:

=IF(AND(ISBLANK([Start POI]@row), [Rule Type]@row = "Speed Limit"), (VALUE([Speed Limit (km/h) Final]@row ) - VALUE([Speed (km/h)]@row)), IF(AND(ISBLANK([Start POI]@row), [Rule Type]@row <> "Speed Limit"), "", value([Speed Limit (km/h) Final]@row) - value([POI Speed Limit]@row)))

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• alexis.ray89371
    alexis.ray89371 ✭✭✭✭✭

That worked! Thank you so much!

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you found a solution. Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Mark

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!