URL Query Strings & Contacts

04/19/21
Answered - Pending Review

Hi

I am using a query string with a form URL to prepopulate a form with row information, which is passed to another sheet.

All works but I am have challenges with passing contact info.

The source form has a column property of "Contact List", and the target form has a similarly formatted column. However, despite various permutations, I cannot get the form populated with the contact.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Paul NewcomePaul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭

You are going to need to use a SUBSTITUTE function to replace the @ with the appropriate value.

="main_part_of_url" + SUBSTITUTE([Contact Column]@row, "@", "%40") + "rest_of_url"

• Neil WatsonNeil Watson ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Paul Newcome, the issue is that when I reference the contact details field, it pulls through the name of the person as opposed to the email address. So I have to recreate the email address (which I have now done). It works because in this sheet the contacts are all internal. Also needs to be in lower case to work.

...."&Requested%20by=" + LOWER(SUBSTITUTE([email protected], " ", ".")) + "@email.com"

I forgot about the LOWER part. Glad you were able to get it working.

• Neil WatsonNeil Watson ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Paul Newcome, the solution only works in this case because the contacts are all from the same company. If the contacts were from multiple domains then I don't have a solution (yet)!

You would have to find a way to capture their actual email address. Maybe in a text/number column so it doesn't try to convert it to a name in a Contact column.