Pre-populate formula form submission

I have developed a form that reports data back into a smartsheet when submitted. I need to apply formulas to the data in the SmarSheet. How do I prepopulate the SmartSheet with the formula's so it outputs the calculation in the sheet? Currently each time data is submitted from the form it creates a fresh line without the formulas.

Many thanks,

Neil

Best Answer

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Neil Glynn

Depending upon your formula, one solution is to convert your formula into a 'Column Formula'. Once created column formulas will automatically fill down a sheet each time a new row is created. Column Formulas do have syntax rules - please see the article below for explanation. If you need help converting to a column formula, shout back out.

cheers

Kelly

• Thanks, setting column formula worked great, problem solved! Thanks very much Kelly!

• Hi- Was glad to find this thread, which references an issue I've been experiencing. I was not aware of the setting column formula feature, which is a great solution. THAT SAID, the option for setting column formula is greyed out for me when trying to apply. I did read the help doc linked above for paremeters of what does/does not work, but am having difficulty determining what I'm not doing right. On it's own the formula works fine, but could someone identify what needs adjusting to set the column formula option? Thanks in advance!

=IF(Group@row = "REGION1", 125, IF(Group@row = "REGION2", 160, IF(Group@row = "REGION3", 125, IF(Group@row = "REGION4", 160, IF(Group@row = "STAFF/COMP", 0, 0)))))

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @eric_moss66076

I hope you're well and safe!

Where are you clinking to make it a column formula?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!