Move Rows Automation - I can't find the sheet I want to move all of my rows to?!

Hi All,

I have a Smartsheet which contains client quotations. I want to build an automation that will move expired quotes out to a 'Cold Leads' Sheet so the main sheet just contains confirmed quotes.

I want to target the automation so a checkbox is selected by the user, when that checkbox is checked, it will move the row out to the Cold Sheet for follow up at a later date.

I have created an exact copy of the original sheet so that all of the data moves across correctly, however when mapping - Smartsheet doesn't give me the option to move rows to the sheet I've just created. Infact, the choice of sheets I can move to are very limited and not anything like the amount of sheets/workspaces I have created/am shared to.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Best Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@mwood At the risk of being obvious:

• does the target sheet have a unique name? (it would be awkward if it had exactly the same name as your source).
    • have you tried typing the first characters of your target sheet in that "Type here ..." box? That should force SmartSheet to search all sheets you are admin on.
    • and this:

Cheers,

Dale

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @mwood

Is the owner of the Master Sheet shared to the target sheet at all?

You won't need ownership of the Master Sheet, but the current owner also needs to have access to the Target with Admin permissions (essentially you can't steal rows away from the owner).

The "Select a Sheet" window will only show you sheets where the current owner of this Master Sheet is shared with Admin or Owner permissions.

Let me know if this makes sense or if I can clarify anything further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Matt Wood
    Matt Wood ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Genevieve,

That's worked perfectly. The owner of the other sheet was only an Editor on the newly created sheet. I've upped the user to Admin and the automation is now working.

Thank you!

Matt

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@mwood At the risk of being obvious:

• does the target sheet have a unique name? (it would be awkward if it had exactly the same name as your source).
    • have you tried typing the first characters of your target sheet in that "Type here ..." box? That should force SmartSheet to search all sheets you are admin on.
    • and this:

Cheers,

Dale

• Matt Wood
    Matt Wood ✭✭✭

Hi Dale,

I've tried the first two but strangely, there were very limited sheets for me to be able to move the rows out to. Certainly less than I have Admin/Ownership rights on.

I'm the owner of the target sheet, but only an admin on the master sheet I need the rows to copy from. I have requested ownership on the main sheet so I am an owner on both sheets to see if this does the trick. I will report back once I have an update.

Thank you so much for your response.

Matt

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @mwood

Is the owner of the Master Sheet shared to the target sheet at all?

You won't need ownership of the Master Sheet, but the current owner also needs to have access to the Target with Admin permissions (essentially you can't steal rows away from the owner).

The "Select a Sheet" window will only show you sheets where the current owner of this Master Sheet is shared with Admin or Owner permissions.

Let me know if this makes sense or if I can clarify anything further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Matt Wood
    Matt Wood ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Genevieve,

That's worked perfectly. The owner of the other sheet was only an Editor on the newly created sheet. I've upped the user to Admin and the automation is now working.

Thank you!

Matt

• Genevieve P.

Hi @mwood

No problem, I'm glad we figured it out! 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!