Automation Fields

Options

Is there a list of which fields can be updated in an automation via the API? Because neither version of the API documentation has it listed. What fields in the object can actually be adjusted?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Casey DuBose (Jalubro Consulting)

I've checked in about my presumption above, and it's correct.

There are only three action blocks that have endpoints in the API: Approval Requests, Single-action Notifications, and Update Requests. These are listed in the "Type" section of the AutomationAction Object.

Within these three action blocks, the fields you can update are listed in the AutomationAction Object: frequency, columns displayed, allowing attachments and comments, the custom message and the custom subject line.

The one that isn't explicitly listed is that you are able to update the Recipients after listing the "type". I've tested and was able to update an Action alert to change out the recipients, single or multiple, if it's set to "send to specific people". Or, if it's set to send to a Contact Column, you can update what Column ID it should send to, under "recipientColumnIds". I'll submit a request that this is updated in the API documentation.

Then, in the AutomationRuleObject, you can update the Name of the workflow as well.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

It sounds like you're looking to use the Update Rows action (listed here), is that correct?

If so, you should be able to update any of the fields that are currently set up in the sheet that you'd be able to update if you were accessing the sheet through the UI (save for a few limitations which are listed under the "note" section of this documentation, such as cells of a project sheet in the "Finish Date" column).

Here's the documentation on Cell Objects, too. If this hasn't helped, it would be useful to know a bit more about what you're looking to do and I'm happy to clarify further.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Casey DuBose (Jalubro Consulting)
    edited 05/21/21
    Options

@Genevieve P - Sorry, I'm talking about updating an Automation rule like the from automation tab on a sheet.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Thank you for clarifying! I see what you mean. There is an Update Automation rule, but currently the fields to update are limited.

You can update content in the Action block, however since you must always specify action.type and it must match the existing rule type, I don't believe you can change what the action is. Additionally, there currently isn't support for customizing some of the newer automations via API. I believe the only action blocks you can adjust are Approval Requests, Notifications, and Update Requests.

Without testing, I would presume that you can adjust the fields listed in the AutomationAction Object, other than the "Type" (frequency, columns displayed, attachments and comments, the custom message and the custom subject line).

Are there a specific set of workflows that you're looking to adjust? If you can clarify your scenario I'll check in with our API team to see if it's possible.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• @Genevieve P - I'd just like clarity in the API documentation (or at least an official statement) about what can and cannot be updated in that AutomationAction Object. Surely, that is something Smartsheet has to have documented as you guys created the API. It shouldn't be something that relies on guesswork for us who are developing on your platform.

I've got 100+ automations I need to update and would like know what can be done via the API and what cannot.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

I've checked in about my presumption above, and it's correct.

There are only three action blocks that have endpoints in the API: Approval Requests, Single-action Notifications, and Update Requests. These are listed in the "Type" section of the AutomationAction Object.

Within these three action blocks, the fields you can update are listed in the AutomationAction Object: frequency, columns displayed, allowing attachments and comments, the custom message and the custom subject line.

The one that isn't explicitly listed is that you are able to update the Recipients after listing the "type". I've tested and was able to update an Action alert to change out the recipients, single or multiple, if it's set to "send to specific people". Or, if it's set to send to a Contact Column, you can update what Column ID it should send to, under "recipientColumnIds". I'll submit a request that this is updated in the API documentation.

Then, in the AutomationRuleObject, you can update the Name of the workflow as well.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Genevieve

• karthick
    karthick ✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. Came across this discussion page while searching for update automation workflows in Smartsheet.

Am trying to do update automation using API. Have done to activate/deactivate the workflow on the same, however unable to update the existing action attribute and other attributes with only activate/deactivate the workflow.

Few of workflows contains only message with trigger notification and no included column id's- here got the error "Required object attribute(s) are missing from your request: action.includedColumnIds.". Unable to remove this attribute and pass as empty as well.