Resources Tracking

Hello anyone, Please i need some help. My goal is to be able track resources and show forecast in the resource view.

If I am correct. i know i have do some calculations or use formulas which i have problem doing that.

The data presented to me was

Title of the Resource

# of people that work in June-Sept

total hours worked

i tired working on it. but I'm not sure if my calculation is right or wrong.

I'm trying to represent this total hours in percentage so as to be able to view it on Resource view and to show forecast.

I will be expecting your help

Thank you

Answers

• Hi @Titilope Laniyan

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to see the blue values in the "Total Hours" column represented as a Percentage of the Total in the grey row.

If so, one quick and easy way to do this would be to create a Pie Chart in a Dashboard out of the data you already have set up! You would just select the blue range of cells as the source for the Chart. It will automatically create a percentage out of the values.

However if you want this percent to show in the sheet, you can build out a formula in a "helper column" next to the numbers, like so:

Then set the column to be a percent-type of column (using the toolbar at the top).

Is this what you were looking to do?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 πŸŽ‰
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Titilope Laniyan
    Titilope Laniyan ✭✭✭

Thank you. Yes It is. but how do I set the column to hours and percent.

I want to reduce the way I use template. I want to be able to set my columns up.

Also how do you set a column to allocation %

• Hi @Titilope Laniyan

My apologies, I'm not sure I'm understanding what it is you're looking to do. In reviewing your screen captures again, it looks like you downloaded the Staff Plan Management template set (see here), is that correct?

If so, the "Total Hours" column is set as a Number column to count the number of hours, already.

The helper column I added in my previous comment was another Text/Number column where I implemented a formula. Then I set the entire column to be a "percent" type of column by highlighting the column and selecting this:

See: Formatting Options

What are you looking for in terms of your % column, or Allocation %? Can you identify the math that you are looking to see done?

It sounds like you might be talking about setting up a Resource View (see this video). This would use a different type of sheet and set-up. In this instance, a Resource View requires the "resources" to be Contacts set up as members in your organization's plan. You would manually set the Allocation % for each resource per-task, with the sheet set as a Gantt type of sheet tracking a Project.

Here's a Webinar on Project Management if you'd like to learn about Gantt charts.

I hope that helps,

Genevieve

• Titilope Laniyan
    Titilope Laniyan ✭✭✭

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply.

Thank you. Yes I used a template,

I'm looking for allocation % . but can I have both duration column and allocation column in sheet?

How do I set up the allocation column in a sheet?

My overall goal is to calculate FTE resources. and to be able to show them in the resources view .

I don't even know how to start

• Hi @Titilope Laniyan

Yes, in order to have a % Allocation column in your sheet you would also need to have a Duration column. You will want to set up a Project Type of sheet. Then add in a Text/Number column and call it % Allocation, and enable Resource Management within your Project Settings.

If you don't know where to start, I would recommend watching this video on Project Management before working in your sheet. This will go through how to set up a Gantt chart with tasks (rows) associated with different contacts.

Then once you have this sheet set up (including Dependencies), you can move on to tracking resources (see here) as your second step.

Based on your account, it looks like you have access to our eLearning courses in the Center of Excellence (see here) as well! These training courses will be a great way to get started. There's a specific course on Project Management (under "Core Features" > "Project Management Fundamentals").

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Titilope Laniyan
    Titilope Laniyan ✭✭✭

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!