How to set an automatic alert when status in one (or several specific) cell changes?

Hello Community,

I have a column with header "Status", and three drop down options: "Complete", "In Progress", and "Not Started". I want to set an alert so that when I manually change the status to "Complete" of one row, another person gets notified that this step was completed. How do I do that?

So far, it sets the alert for the every row. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Erich,

You'll use sheet automation for this, not row. You can delete the row alerts you set.

Select create automation from the drop down menu. Create an alert that triggers when [status] changes to "Complete". If the person to be notified varies by town you'll need a contact column in your sheet that contains the person to be notified next. Link the alert automation to that column.

Here is a link to a tutorial that will help you:

https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-intermediate/alerts-reminders

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, that didn't work - or I didn't quite understand it -- but I got it to work!

I used a condition to specify the "Task Name" I want SmartSheets to send an alert for after a specific row's status is changed. That worked.

Thanks for your help.

Erich

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent. Glad you found a solution. Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!