How do I populate a destination sheet with data from a source sheet based on a checkbox from source.

I need to bring data from column 6 of source sheet based on a checkbox being checked in column 1 in same sources sheet.

Is this possible?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It should be possible but the specifics are going to depend on your details. Are you able to provide some screenshots with mock data manually entered that shows what you are working with and what you are hoping to accomplish?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Amanda Sligh
    Amanda Sligh ✭✭✭

Destination Sheet

Master Sheet

I want to check to see if the yes column is checked if so I need to bring the data for the fields in the same row.

Does that help?

• Amanda Sligh
    Amanda Sligh ✭✭✭

Just for context the master sheet I am working from has well over the max that is allowed for cell linking.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you looked into pulling a report?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Amanda Sligh
    Amanda Sligh ✭✭✭

I have thought of that, however there are more data that will need to be added to each row before sharing with the recipient. I would like to the data that already exists to populate as boxes are checked and unchecked on the master sheet so we aren't duplicating work.

• AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯
    AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/21/21

Hi @Amanda Sligh

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Paul's excellent advice/answer.

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

βœ…Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Amanda Sligh
    Amanda Sligh ✭✭✭

I have tried multiple times. I have tried just matching the technology platform column but get "incorrect argument"

=INDEX({EDI Master Sheet Range 1}, MATCH("Bswift", {EDI Master Sheet Range 1}), MATCH("Plansource", {EDI Master Sheet Range 1}), MATCH("Employee Navigator", {EDI Master Sheet Range 1}))

I have tried if function with index and match inside. I have tried index(collect). I get errors everytime.

• AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯
    AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Amanda Sligh

The structure would something like this.

=INDEX({ColumnWithTheValueYouWantToShow}; MATCH(CellThatHaveTheValueToMatch@row;

{ColumnWithTheValueToMatchAgainsTheCell}; 0))

Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did that help?

βœ…Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Amanda Sligh
    Amanda Sligh ✭✭✭

Questions in bold:

=INDEX({ColumnWithTheValueYouWantToShow};

MATCH(CellThatHaveTheValueToMatch(what if there is more than one possible value?)

@row;

{ColumnWithTheValueToMatchAgainsTheCell} (Is this the same column that I used with the index function?); 0))

What if I wanted to use an additional argument to check to see if the checkbox in same row was checked? I only want to bring the data from that row if the checkbox is checked.

• Amanda Sligh
    Amanda Sligh ✭✭✭

I have gotten the index match formula to work but it will not copy down to populate the correct info. It shows the same result as the first cell.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!