Copied Rows do not automatically update in a Rollup Sheet

Doreen Chatfield
Doreen Chatfield ✭✭✭
edited 06/23/21 in Formulas and Functions

I am going to ask this questions as best I can....

1. I have a sheet that I input information.
  2. Based on a value from a column, I automated it to copy that row into what I call a ROLL-UP SHEET.
  3. I then created a NEW SHEET with some new columns as well as some columns from the roll-up sheet.
  4. I did cell linking on the columns from the ROLL-UP SHEET.

Unfortunately, when new rows are added into the ROLL-UP SHEET from the automation, the cell linking for those columns does not automatically update in the NEW sheet.

I have tried looking into this in the forums but I cannot seem to find the right answer.

Thank you for all your help!

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi @Doreen Chatfield

Instead of having a third sheet with the extra columns, can you add the extra columns directly into the second, "rollup" sheet? As long as this second sheet has the same columns as the first sheet, you can add additional ones as well.

Then you could use a Report if you wanted to filter out some of those columns (or hide them in the rollup). The Report would automatically update as new rows are added.

If this wouldn't work for you, it would be helpful to know more about your process and potentially see screen captures (but please block out sensitive data).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi Genevieve,

Thank you for the answer. I thought about doing that but the NEW sheet only contains the pertinent information I need.

The ROLL-UP sheet is pulling from 6 different sheet (done is automated copy rows) and has too many columns I do not need which makes it look so cluttered.

I am also collecting updates on the NEW sheet.

Does smartsheet not automatically update from cell links when rows are copied?

• Hi @Doreen Chatfield

Cell links are locked to a very specific cell in a specific row. When you add an entirely new row to a sheet (such as through a Copy Row workflow), you will then need to manually create a link to that new cell, since it didn't exist with content before. Does that make sense?

You could add new columns to this second sheet but hide them in this sheet, if that helps? Then you can expose those hidden columns in a Report, along with the columns that have the relevant, copied over information.

Would this work for you?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Doreen Chatfield
    Doreen Chatfield ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you! That is what I am going ot do.

• A teammate of mine gave me the idea (which again, should not be needed) of creating a band-aid using an automated workflow - such as telling the underlying Sheet to lock and then unlock a row, daily at say 3am. I am going to try this.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!