Stacked and Unstacked Bar Chart

I'd like to create a Bar chart that is both stacked and unstacked.

The chart I'm trying to build is for forecasting cash. We have multiple categories of incoming cash by week and multiple categories of outgoing cash by week. For each week I'd like to have one stacked column for incoming cash next to one stacked column for outgoing cash.

Is there a way to do this?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It should be possible depending on how exactly you structure your data in the reference sheet.

Your first column would be

Week 1 Incoming

Week 1 Outgoing

Week 2 Incoming

Week 2 Outgoing

And then you would have the rest of the columns to the right listing out each of the different categories.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• So you are saying to just cumulate it prior to putting it in the chart? If so that won't accomplish my goal.

I need to combine these two charts:

And they need to be side by side, but stacked as they currently are to accomplish my goal.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to populate a chart in Smartsheet is to have the data populated in a sheet or report. If you are already collecting the data, then it should only be a matter of rearranging it or duplicating it in a different structure than how it is already populated.

Cell linking and cross sheet references are ways to quickly duplicate the data if you want to maintain your current charts for other purposes.

How are you currently populating your two different charts?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• I am populating them with different columns from a single report. Is there a place to request new features?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you already have them in the same report, which piece of data is the column headers and which piece is the rows?

To submit a product enhancement request, you can click on the three stacked lines in the top left corner of this page and then select the "Product Feedback" option, but what you are wanting is possible within Smartsheet. It just requires a little bit of restructuring of the existing data.

10xViz.com

• Weeks are the rows and different cash categories are the columns. It is these different categories that I currently stack on.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide a screenshot of the report?

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!