Automatically Change Value in Drop-Down Box

Options

I might be overthinking this, but I have a drop-down box (called PD/C Approval Status that is used for automated request for approval) that includes the following values:

• Requested
  • Approved
  • Not Approved
  • No Response
  • ----

The default is "---" until the approval workflow is initiated, which then changes is to "Requested" (via the workflow). Obviously, the person then clicks Approved or Not Approved, which also automatically changes the value in the column.

However, I want to change the value to "No Response" automatically if the person does not respond to the approval request. I have another column (called Approval Elapsed Time) that calculates the elapsed time from when the request was sent to TODAY(). If the value is greater than 0 (meaning today was the day the approval was needed), I'd like it to change the drop-down value to "No Response".

I thought I might be able to do this via the Change Cell Value workflow, but apparently you can use this with drop-down boxes.

Any workaround suggestions?

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @aschneiderheinze74206

I hope you're well and safe!

You could make it work with so-called helper columns, but then you'd have a master status that would reference two columns. One dropdown and the other would be a text one to be automated with change cell action.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @aschneiderheinze74206

I hope you're well and safe!

You could make it work with so-called helper columns, but then you'd have a master status that would reference two columns. One dropdown and the other would be a text one to be automated with change cell action.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!