How to find specific text within a string, in a COUNTIFS statement

Rudy Nausch
Rudy Nausch ✭
edited 07/06/21 in Formulas and Functions

(This was posted as a question previously, however I am unable to mark that as "unanswered" and am asking this again)

Hi everyone,

I am using a COUNTIFS to search a linked sheet, with one of the conditional IFS to be if the date falls in a specific month, and a specific year.

Example: Condition 1, Condition 2, Condition 3 = Must have "Jan" in referenced dates, Condition 4 = Year must be "2022" in referenced dates

Have triedΒ "*"&"jan"&"*" as both an IF, and as part of a nested FIND statement - both to no success.

A previous posts incorrect answer proposed this:

COUNTIFS(

{Studio Follow-On Projects Status (Prod) Range 1},Β Jurisdiction@row,

{Studio Follow-On Projects Status (Prod) Range 2}, <>"DONE",

{Studio Follow-On Projects Status (Prod) Range 2}, <>"CANCELLED",

{Studio Follow-On Projects Status (Prod) Range 4},

IFERROR(MONTH(@cell),0)=4)

Any other tips please?

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rudy,

Please share a screenshot of your sheet with column headings.

The basic structure of your formula for the month of January and year 2021 will be:

AND({Condition 1}, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell),0)=1, {Condition 2}, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell),0)=1, {Condition 3}, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell),0)=1, {Condition 4}, IFERROR(year(@cell),0)="2021")

Your condition ranges need to point to single date columns.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Hi Mark,

Thank you for your input.

Can I share the sheets with you to take a look?

Cheers,

Rudy

• I am attempting to count the number of titles by Release and by Date 3, from the sheet below (Test Project Status).

The query is to count these into the sheet below, based on those conditions.

Not sure how to make the IFERROR statement work in this context.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you entering the dates into a date type column or are they in a text/number column?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!