Finding Parent value of first blank child

Hi,

I've been struggling with this and haven't been able to figure it out. I want the Current Phase field on the request record to be filled in with the parent task name of the first child with a blank status. So in this case, on the top line, I want the Current Phase to say Approval Process. I have a field for level that is 0 for all the lines I want the current phase filled in on and the level of the value I want will always be on level 1. I need this to happen on each request (level 0) so we can track what part of the process each request is in.

I have tried a bunch of different things and read a bunch of posts, but I can't figure this one out. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,

Debbie

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Debbie, This is a great challenge. Thanks for posting.

I'd add a helper column [status help] to the left of your [I want software to heard cats] column. Enter the column formula:

=IF(level@row=1, IF(countifs(children([date completed]), isblank(@cell)) >0, "Incomplete", ""),"")

Then in your [current phase] column use the formula:

=vlookup("incomplete", [status help]:[I want software to heard cats], 2, true)

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Hi Mark,

I get an unparseable error when I put the formula in for the status helper field. It doesn't seem to like the field on children.

If I just try =count(children()) it gives me the correct number of children. The minute I add the field as in =count(children([Date Completed]) it tells me the syntax isn't quite right. I have even tried copying a sample directly from the smartsheet children function page and I can't get it to work either. This is what was killing all my attempts at this as well. Maybe it is time to call support.

=COUNTIF(CHILDREN([Sold Date]1), MONTH(@cell) = 2)

I tried adding your code to the actual status column and moving it over to the left of the task field and it works to fill in the Incomplete. When I use the vlookup it seems to pull the second item ("Preliminary ITS Review") for each level 0 task. The first one should be pulling "Approval Process" and the second one should pull "Initiation".

Thanks,

Debbie

• Hi Mark,

I got it to work. Thanks for the help. You got me going in the right direction. In my regular status column, on level 1 tasks, I put in the formula:

=IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), ISBLANK(@cell)) > 0, "Incomplete", "")

Then in my current phase level 0 tasks, I'm using the formula:

=INDEX(CHILDREN(Task@row), MATCH("Incomplete", CHILDREN(Status@row), 0))

Thanks again for the help.

Debbie

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Debbie, Glad you found a solution. We'll done. Thank you for contributing to the community.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!