How can I convert a row in one sheet into a column in another sheet based on a checkbox?

I am trying to convert the information in my resource request sheet into a customer data sheet when a box is checked in the resource request sheet. When a request is entered it will flow into the database for resource request. I would like to give my client the option of checking the box of the customer who's details they want to look at and have that information flow into the customer data sheet when the box is checked. They can then print that sheet for that customer, uncheck their box and select another and print the sheet again with a new customer's data filled in. I have tried VLOOKUP, INDEX/MATCH and a nested IF function and I have yet to find a solution that works. I'm including a screenshot of both sheets. I am attempting to keep this system as close to what they are replacing as possible. I have also tried a report from the request sheet, but cannot link either a formula to the report or metrics on a dashboard to the report. And I can't link metrics based on a checkbox.... racking my brain to try and find a solution that keeps them functioning as close to their current system as possible.

Best Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Leslie Merlino

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's one method.

Add a so-called helper column that that checks the View Customer Order Data column for a checked checkbox. In that column, add a formula that would show something when the box is checked. Number 1, for example, and then in the Customer Data Sheet, you'd use INDEX/MATCH and something like this.

=INDEX({Customer Name}, MATCH(1, {Helper Column}, 0))

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Leslie Merlino
    Answer ✓

Thank you!! I actually thought of this just shortly after I posted the question. Came back in to make a comment that I figured it out and saw your post!! I appreciate the help!! :-)

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!