Is it possible to set up a card view lanes based on a column based on a vlookup value?

I'm trying to layout my card view by launch quarter/year. I currently select the launch quarter/year by using a drop down menu based on the estimated launch date. I'm hoping I could create a column for launch quarter/year with either vlookup, or if/then formula that would determine the launch quarter/year based on the launch date. It doesn't seem like a formula would be a type of column I could select for my lanes, but I'm hoping I'm missing something. I'm open to additional options as well. Thank you.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Alexis Kipping

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Alexis Kipping

Card View Lanes will need to be some sort of drop-down column. You could definitely write your formula into one of these columns, and even set it as a Column Formula to automatically populate with the Quarter and Year, however the returned value would also need to be defined in the Column Properties as well.

For example, I have a column formula which will return the Quarter and Year, like so:

=IF(AND(MONTH(Date@row) >= 1, MONTH(Date@row) <= 3), "Q1 " + YEAR(Date@row), IF(AND(MONTH(Date@row) >= 4, MONTH(Date@row) <= 6), "Q2 " + YEAR(Date@row), IF(AND(MONTH(Date@row) >= 7, MONTH(Date@row) <= 9), "Q3 " + YEAR(Date@row), "Q4 " + YEAR(Date@row))))

The resulting value looks like this: Q1 2021

However in order to have these values appear as Card Lanes, I need to manually put the potential output options into the Column Properties, like so:

Therefore if I had a date with 2022 as the year, the formula would automatically create this value in the cell, but I haven't defined this in the Column Properties.

In this instance, there wouldn't be a lane for this card to go into so it would appear under the "Uncategorized" heading until you updated the Column to account for this new value. You can do this by adding a lane, making sure the lane name matches the formula output:

Does that make sense? Let me know if you need help building out your formula and I'm happy to clarify further! It would be useful to see a screen capture of your source sheet, with the way you want your data to be formatted (ex: "Q1 - 2022" or "2022 / Q1"... etc) but please block out any sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Need more help? 👀 | Help and Learning Center

こんにちは (Konnichiwa), Hallo, Hola, Bonjour, Olá, Ciao! 👋 | Global Discussions

• This works perfectly, thanks Genevieve!

Noting here for others that I had to add brackets around date@row to make Genevieve's formula work. My date column is called End Date, so I made that change as well.

=IF(AND(MONTH([End Date]@row) >= 1, MONTH([End Date]@row) <= 3), "Q1 " + YEAR([End Date]@row), IF(AND(MONTH([End Date]@row) >= 4, MONTH([End Date]@row) <= 6), "Q2 " + YEAR([End Date]@row), IF(AND(MONTH([End Date]@row) >= 7, MONTH([End Date]@row) <= 9), "Q3 " + YEAR([End Date]@row), "Q4 " + YEAR([End Date]@row))))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!