Using a form to populate empty cells on an existing row.

Is there a way to allow a user to click a link to open a form to update predefined specific empty cells in the same row?

We have a list of unwanted assets that way still be useful in another part of the company. I would like to have the users click a link to open a form that will allow them to add their contact information to that row item. I don't want an additional row in the sheet but instead to add the information to currently blank cells on the row.

As an alternative, is there a way when the form submission creates a new row, can it trigger a workflow to merge the new row of the item being requested?

Answers

• Hi @Glenn Meyer

What you're describing sounds like an Update Request! This will email a specific person a form to fill out, which will populate the cells of a row that is currently in Smartsheet. You can customize what fields are sent in the request.

You can either send this manually to a specific person as a one-time Update Request email, or you can create an automated workflow to send this form out depending on specific timing or criteria.

Here are the Help Articles that go through either option:

The alternative could potentially work as well, depending on your sheet set-up. You could use a cross-sheet formula to link information from one sheet to another as submissions come in. If you'd prefer to go this route, it would be helpful to see screen captures of your source sheet, but please block out any sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Glenn Meyer
    Glenn Meyer ✭✭✭

Thank you, Genevieve. We elected to use a formula to update a second sheet. The problem for us is we can't sent the update request because we don't know the user.

Thank you.

• Hi Glenn, I'm glad you found a process that works for you!

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now