Can I use IF statements for symbols based on a dropdown column?

Hello,

I've been trying all of the solutions from threads about symbols changing using IF statements, but none seem to be working.

I have a column called "Status" that is a dropdown and includes different application statuses like "Applied" and "Admitted". I want a different column called "Status bubble" to update the symbol GYRG (Green, Yellow, Red, Gray) based on the Status column.

Here is what I have been trying:

=IF([Status]@row = “Confirmed - IEP“, "Green", IF([Status]@row = “Applied”, "Yellow", IF([Status]@row = “Cancelled”, "Red", "Gray")))

and it keeps coming back #UNPARSEABLE.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Does the IF statement not work with dropdown columns?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

See your slanted quotes around each of the statuses? Those are called smart quotes. Smartsheet doesn't like those.

See the ones that are straight up and down around each of your colors? Those are the ones Smartsheet likes.

Try retyping your formula directly into Smartsheet to replace those smart quotes and see if that works.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!