Using reports

I have a sheet that is updated daily. I am trying to create a report that shows the previous 7 days worth of entries. I could not figure out how to do this so I created a helper column that checks a box for items that have a date up to 7 days prior to TODAY. However, if I don't do into the main sheet every day and save, the checkboxes don't automatically update to the last 7 days entries. Is there another way to set up the report so it's updating automatically?

Best Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Jessica Abbey Okay.

Rows are being updated daily. Several rows per day and they each have a date column.

You could set up the report how I outlined above, but instead of using the "Modified" or "Created" date columns, use your Date column of choice.

Set the Filter Criteria to be "In the last ___ days", then input "7". The report will show dates from today minus 7 days. It updates on its own and is not dependent upon a cell for updates like what you're using now.

I believe that should work for what you're looking for. Let me know!

If this answers your questions, please mark "Yes" below. This helps others in the community find similar solutions to their questions, and all the random Googlers out there 👁👁)

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jessica Abbey

I hope you're well and safe!

I think Brett's suggestion for the report should work for you, but this might help with your daily update issue.

Please have a look at my post below with a method I developed to update the sheet(s) daily.

More info: 

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Jessica Abbey, I have a couple of questions for you:

When you say the sheet is updated daily, do you mean new rows are being created, or are existing rows being modified? Or a mix of both?

On your sheet, you'll need to make sure you have a column available that will show either "Created" or "Modified". You can create this column by going to the "Insert column" menu (right click any column and find it from that menu), then choosing Auto-Number/System. See my screenshot below.

After this, go back to your Report and edit the "Filter Criteria". Set it to include items either "Created" or "Modified" in the last 7 days, depending on what you need.

Would that work for what you're looking for? This eliminates the need for that checkbox entirely. Let me know!

If this answers your questions, please mark "Yes" below. This helps others in the community find similar solutions to their questions, and all the random Googlers out there 👁👁)

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Rows are being updated daily. Several rows per day and they each have a date column. But I want the report to show the last 7 days worth data. So if I open the report today, I want it to show rows with dates 7/24 through today. If I open report on Monday, to show data with the dates 8/2 - 7/27.

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Jessica Abbey Okay.

Rows are being updated daily. Several rows per day and they each have a date column.

You could set up the report how I outlined above, but instead of using the "Modified" or "Created" date columns, use your Date column of choice.

Set the Filter Criteria to be "In the last ___ days", then input "7". The report will show dates from today minus 7 days. It updates on its own and is not dependent upon a cell for updates like what you're using now.

I believe that should work for what you're looking for. Let me know!

Love,

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jessica Abbey

I hope you're well and safe!

I think Brett's suggestion for the report should work for you, but this might help with your daily update issue.

Please have a look at my post below with a method I developed to update the sheet(s) daily.

More info: 

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks so much! I appreciate having everyone's expertise when I get stumped. Both are excellent solutions!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jessica Abbey

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!