Row limit on Daily/Weekly Email Summaries

Hello, we have 2 workflows set up to send a daily and a weekly email of all the rows that have been added or changed in a sheet. We notice that it doesn't show all the rows in the image table within the email, and at the bottom of the table it says "Additional changes were made in ___ more rows."

Is there a limit to how many rows might show up in an email?

How can I see these other rows or is there a link/way to to see all these changes in one view? Thank you!

Best Answer

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Charity.

Correct if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're wanting the ability to see more rows in this "Summary Email" so you can more easily see the new rows that are added. Is that accurate?

If that is the question you're wanting an answer for, unfortunately, there's no way to limit the amount of rows that show up in an email for these sorts of notifications. Smartsheet, bless its heart, does a lot of things really well but notifications are not its strong suit in my opinion. I'm the same as you, I'd like a line-by-line measure of all items that have been added (or updated!).

Due to the way that Smartsheet saves (it requires either a manual process of a person pressing the "Save" button or it auto-saves sometimes), notifications are passed in batches. So if I add 7 rows, all 7 rows usually get put into one notification. Smartsheet may parse out the first 2 (like what you have above), but what about the other 5? I ended up creating a custom solution through Microsoft's Power Automate that gives a "project newsfeed" of each item updated to particular channels to circumvent this.

But, for what you're looking for, I think a Report would be a solid option.

Proposed Solution: Create a report and receive an Excel file daily via email

Create a Report for this sheet named something similar to "Added today", and another for "Added last week". Add the fields you'd like to see (might be all the fields for the sheet). Then set up an email to go out daily with an attached Excel file.

1. Create a report for this Sheet named "Added today".
      1. You can choose the "Filter Criteria" to be like this for "Added today":WField: Created
      2. Filter: "is in the last ____ days"
      3. Criteria: 1
    2. Within that report, go to File -> Send as attachment... then select "Schedule". You could set it up to be recurring like your current email summary. For more detail, check this help article from Smartsheet: Share a Report as an Attachment

Let me know what you think.

If this solution works for you, please mark "Yes" - that helps others looking for a solution similar to this to find this post (and you random Googlers out there 👀).

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Charity.

Correct if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're wanting the ability to see more rows in this "Summary Email" so you can more easily see the new rows that are added. Is that accurate?

If that is the question you're wanting an answer for, unfortunately, there's no way to limit the amount of rows that show up in an email for these sorts of notifications. Smartsheet, bless its heart, does a lot of things really well but notifications are not its strong suit in my opinion. I'm the same as you, I'd like a line-by-line measure of all items that have been added (or updated!).

Due to the way that Smartsheet saves (it requires either a manual process of a person pressing the "Save" button or it auto-saves sometimes), notifications are passed in batches. So if I add 7 rows, all 7 rows usually get put into one notification. Smartsheet may parse out the first 2 (like what you have above), but what about the other 5? I ended up creating a custom solution through Microsoft's Power Automate that gives a "project newsfeed" of each item updated to particular channels to circumvent this.

But, for what you're looking for, I think a Report would be a solid option.

Proposed Solution: Create a report and receive an Excel file daily via email

Create a Report for this sheet named something similar to "Added today", and another for "Added last week". Add the fields you'd like to see (might be all the fields for the sheet). Then set up an email to go out daily with an attached Excel file.

1. Create a report for this Sheet named "Added today".
      1. You can choose the "Filter Criteria" to be like this for "Added today":WField: Created
      2. Filter: "is in the last ____ days"
      3. Criteria: 1
    2. Within that report, go to File -> Send as attachment... then select "Schedule". You could set it up to be recurring like your current email summary. For more detail, check this help article from Smartsheet: Share a Report as an Attachment

Let me know what you think.

If this solution works for you, please mark "Yes" - that helps others looking for a solution similar to this to find this post (and you random Googlers out there 👀).

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Charity L

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Brett's excellent advice/answer.

If I remember correctly, the limit is 100 rows.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå thank you for the information about the # of rows! That is super helpful and explains a lot

@Brett Wyrick thanks for this possible solution!! I will mark it as an answer and propose it to my user. I think it should work!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Charity L

You're more than welcome!

Glad to hear that it was helpful!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå, the master at it again.

I learned something new every day from you 😁 I didn't know it was up to 100 rows - for some reason, I feel like I usually get a limited number of rows each email. Maybe it's getting cut short somehow?

¯\(ツ)/¯ thanks for the info!

Love,