Drop Down Option in Form

I would like to set up a Form for collecting bin sample information. The samples go through 3 different stages of testing so the line for each bin would be updated 3 different times. Is there a way to create a Form and/or Sheet that we can select the bin name and the previously entered data for that bin name would populate and the user could update the next stages adding to that bin name? We process around 1500 bin samples per year so we need a filter option so they are entering the data for the correct bin. Just curious if there was a way to do this, we would like to use Smartsheet for this if possible.

Thanks!!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kerry Hurd

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, and there are a couple of different options.

• Have you explored using Automated Update Request after the initial form submission?
    • What Smartsheet Plan do you have?
    • Are you open to adding a Premium App or not?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kerry Hurd

Hope you are fine, if you can call me in my Email I can create this application for you because I need a sample data an I need to discuss the workflow steps with you, my Email: Bassam.k@mobilproject.it

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Kerry Hurd
    Kerry Hurd ✭✭✭

Andree, Bassam - If I understand the automated update request process this would send several thousand email updates for all 1500 bins entered as they go through the 3 stages. We have 4-8 people working on the samples and would not want to have that many emails generated. I was hoping for a form that would have a field for a bin name drop down, when the bin was selected the associated data already entered for that bin would populate. Similar to Excel using a drop down to only enter data for that selection. They could then update the next sample stage data. Not sure if this is possible. I created a sheet with all 3 stages of data fields in one sheet for now. I'm concerned with 1500+ bin entries that it will be easy to select the wrong bin if they have to scroll through to find. Thanks for your feedback!!

Kerry

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/02/21

@Kerry Hurd

As I mentioned in my first replay please call me and I will create a professional application for you.

You will not need update requests and thousands of Emails.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kerry Hurd

Happy to help!

Unfortunately, it's not possible to make it work as you described in Excel.

• Are the bins assigned to a specific person, or can anyone update any bin?
    • What Smartsheet plan do you have?

As mentioned, there are multiple ways to structure the solution.

• Different methods of selecting the bin and that send an update request for the bin.
    • List of the bins, clicking a link that opens a form with the information already added so you can update the information.
    • And more

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kerry Hurd
    Kerry Hurd ✭✭✭

Hi Andree,

Anyone can make updates to a bin. We typically have 4-8 people completing the samples.

We have the Enterprise Smartsheet plan.

We would rather not have it set up where it sends updates to people via email with the number of email updates we would see. It would be thousands of emails to individuals. Is an email update the only option that you are aware of? The list of bins and clicking on a link that opens a form with the information updated sounds like what we might be looking for.

Thanks for your feedback.

Kerry