The ratio between child and parent

Options
Hi, I would like your help.
I want the parent to accept the values ​​of the child,if all children have this value.
For expample: If everyone has the value "All Homework is done" but not everyone has the value
 "Test Rehearsal is done " then only the value that appears in everyone will appear in the parent.

Best Answer

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Itay,

What you want to do, it can be done. But it's going to be difficult utilizing Multiple Choice pick items. How hard would it be to make several columns, one for each "Practices" or "Lectures" and set them as "single choice"? Something like Column1 would be "Lectures Watched?" and Column 2 could be "Lectures Summarized?". Something like that?

If you could do single choice, what you'd want to do is some sort of formula that'd be like this for the "Practices" column:

=IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "All Homework is Done") = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "All Homework is Done")

If you stick with multiple choice, you're going to run into weird "line break character" issues that are hard to remediate and work with in Smartsheet.

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Itay,

What you want to do, it can be done. But it's going to be difficult utilizing Multiple Choice pick items. How hard would it be to make several columns, one for each "Practices" or "Lectures" and set them as "single choice"? Something like Column1 would be "Lectures Watched?" and Column 2 could be "Lectures Summarized?". Something like that?

If you could do single choice, what you'd want to do is some sort of formula that'd be like this for the "Practices" column:

=IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "All Homework is Done") = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "All Homework is Done")

If you stick with multiple choice, you're going to run into weird "line break character" issues that are hard to remediate and work with in Smartsheet.

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Josh L.
    Josh L. ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Itay, I can't quite tell from your screenshot, but it looks like you're manually noting which Lectures or Practices have been completed. Your question may be solved using Conditional Formatting.

• Itay
    Options

Thank both!

Brett, that is actually what I did.... now I'm trying to connect them in one condition...

Josh, I don't want to change the formating and because of that I don't need Conditional Formating...

Do you have any idea? mabye other way?

• Itay
    Options

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), IF(HAS(@cell, "All lectures watched"), "true", "false") = "true") = 3, "All lectures watched") + CHAR(10) + IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), IF(HAS(@cell, "All Lectures Summarized"), "true", "false") = "true") = 3, "All Lectures Summarized")

I succied :)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!