Counting blanks (no dates entered) in a sheet column

Options

Just starting out in Smartsheet.

Is there a simple way to just add the number of blank cells in the Date Assigned column. I'd like to use this formula as a value in the Sheet Summary section.

What I've tried so far:

=IF(ISBLANK([Date Assigned]@row), COUNT[Date Assigned]@row, )

Thank you!

Edward Nadareski

(e): ejnadareski@mmhayes.com

(p): (518) 857-1221

Best Answer

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Edward.

That's weird, it is working for me as a Sheet Summary Field:

As you can see here, I've only got one row that's empty.

So I get 1. If I delete the "Date Assigned" value from one cell, I get...

So I'm not really sure what is causing yours to give you a different value.

Is this the exact formula you're using?

=COUNTIF([Date Assigned]:[Date Assigned], "")

If not, could you possibly send a screenshot of what you're seeing on your end?

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Edward Nadareski, welcome!

You're so close! Try this instead:

=COUNTIF([Date Assigned]:[Date Assigned], ="")

That is working for me on my end, let me know if it works for you!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Edward Nadareski

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Brett's excellent advice/answer.

You'd probably need to add a -10 to the formula because of the 10 extra rows added automatically at the bottom of the sheet.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Edward Nadareski
    Edward Nadareski ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Brett Wyrick,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I tried your solution and it is showing "0" as it should be if no blank dates are in the Date Assigned column. So that part worked. However, when I changed one of the Date Assigned entries to a blank...it did not pick that change up. I'm using this command as a Summary section calculation of my sheet.

Thanks again! -Edward

Edward Nadareski

• Edward Nadareski
    Edward Nadareski ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Andrée Starå ,

Thank you as well for your additional insight. For some reason, and I'm not sure yet as to why, I didn't need to put in the -10. Not sure why I'm not getting those extra 10 row entries, though.

Thank you! -Edward

Edward Nadareski

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Edward.

That's weird, it is working for me as a Sheet Summary Field:

As you can see here, I've only got one row that's empty.

So I get 1. If I delete the "Date Assigned" value from one cell, I get...

So I'm not really sure what is causing yours to give you a different value.

Is this the exact formula you're using?

=COUNTIF([Date Assigned]:[Date Assigned], "")

If not, could you possibly send a screenshot of what you're seeing on your end?

Love,

• Edward Nadareski
    Edward Nadareski ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Brett Wyrick,

I think I figured out what my challenge was. It appears I had a character in two of the cells I was looking at for some reason. But your formula did work after I corrected my oversight.

Thank you very much! -Edward

Edward Nadareski

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Awesome. Glad to help!

Love,

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!