Next Item Due

Hello,

I would like to create a widget in a dashboard that shows the next task that is due in a list of upcoming tasks due. If I have a column that says the task with a corresponding due date column, how would I be able to display the nearest upcoming task due?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Ah, easy enough then. How do you know when a task is "done"? Is there a "Status" column or a checkbox?

Here's an example I built real fast:

For this to be displayed on a Dashboard you should create a Report (type: Row report) that looks at your one Sheet.

• Columns: Primary, Due Date and Status
    • Filter Criteria: Status column does NOT equal "Done"
    • Sort: Sort the Report by the "Due Date" column, Oldest to Newest

You'd end up with something that looks like this:

If you'll notice, my tasks of "Pet the cat" and "Feed the cat" had statuses of "Done", so they didn't show up on the report. That cat is hungry though...

Then you'd want to go to your Dashboard, then select the big "+" sign to add a Widget. Select Report:

And that should get it done. The Dashboard widget editor will allow you to show a number of items if you'd like, so if you want to limit it to say, 3, you could. Or 1 if you're so inclined.

Pro Tip!

When you're adding the Widget, before you press Save, go to "Widget Behavior". Then where it says "When someone clicks this widget", change it from "Take no action" to "Open the data source". It will lead right to your report. You could also choose your Sheet if you wanted.

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭

Hey Danielle.

Does it have to be just one task, or could it be several?

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around what could be done here to get just one task. Reports are available to have on Dashboards, and you could easily show the top tasks due from there. Would that work, or do you specifically need just one task to show up?

Could you send a screenshot of your sheet?

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Thanks for responding @Brett Wyrick !

Unfortunately I cannot send a screenshot due to confidentiality reasons, but if you can imagine a left column with a list of tasks and to the right of that a column with their corresponding due dates. Ideally, I would like to pull the nearest tasks in to a dashboard to show what's "due" next, but if you only can figure out how to show top tasks then that would be OK.

Thanks!

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Ah, easy enough then. How do you know when a task is "done"? Is there a "Status" column or a checkbox?

Here's an example I built real fast:

For this to be displayed on a Dashboard you should create a Report (type: Row report) that looks at your one Sheet.

• Columns: Primary, Due Date and Status
    • Filter Criteria: Status column does NOT equal "Done"
    • Sort: Sort the Report by the "Due Date" column, Oldest to Newest

You'd end up with something that looks like this:

If you'll notice, my tasks of "Pet the cat" and "Feed the cat" had statuses of "Done", so they didn't show up on the report. That cat is hungry though...

Then you'd want to go to your Dashboard, then select the big "+" sign to add a Widget. Select Report:

And that should get it done. The Dashboard widget editor will allow you to show a number of items if you'd like, so if you want to limit it to say, 3, you could. Or 1 if you're so inclined.

Pro Tip!

When you're adding the Widget, before you press Save, go to "Widget Behavior". Then where it says "When someone clicks this widget", change it from "Take no action" to "Open the data source". It will lead right to your report. You could also choose your Sheet if you wanted.

Love,

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!