Problem with % format in a cell

I have a cell in a summary sheet in which I am using a JOIN function simply to pull from another sheet.

The cell in that sheet properly displays the data in a percent format (%)

However the cell in my Summary sheet, displays the linked information as a decimal

I have clicked the cell and toggled the format button off and on (This usually refreshes the Column/Cell)

The cell stubbornly stays in decimal format.

Any ideas?

Best Answer

• StevenBlackburnMBA
    StevenBlackburnMBA ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I may be getting too simplistic here, but I am figuring you need to use the JOIN function? I typically just hyperlink the cell from another sheet and directly link it to that cell and lock it. That way, I get the number from the previous sheet updated to use in my reports and dashboards and lock it as a way of validating that data can't be manually changed.

I haven't used the JOIN function yet -- so not sure if you NEED it for something you are doing on that sheet was why I brought the other up.

Certifications:

-Smartsheet 2023 Core Product Certification

-Smartsheet 2023 System Administrator Certification

Answers

• Jasmine
    Jasmine ✭✭✭

On the Sheet Summary, for the field you would like in %... click on the 3 dots, under "Number Formatting" select "Percentage".

• Thank you but I have tried that, and toggled it on and off, many times.

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭

@Todd Smelser What browser are you using? I recall this happening to people using Internet Explorer. Are you on Chrome or the new Microsoft Edge? Try it in another browser and tell me if you are seeing the same thing.

This is an odd one!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/03/21

Hi @Todd Smelser

It's probably not working because the join formula changes it to text.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots and the formula? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andre,

This is a simple JOIN({Gantt 2021 Upgrade Range 6}) formula used to pull the contents of a cell from my Gantt into a Summary sheet. I was wondering if the formula itself was causing the format to be ignored.

I suppose I could set up a simple link to that cell.

• StevenBlackburnMBA
    StevenBlackburnMBA ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I may be getting too simplistic here, but I am figuring you need to use the JOIN function? I typically just hyperlink the cell from another sheet and directly link it to that cell and lock it. That way, I get the number from the previous sheet updated to use in my reports and dashboards and lock it as a way of validating that data can't be manually changed.

I haven't used the JOIN function yet -- so not sure if you NEED it for something you are doing on that sheet was why I brought the other up.

Certifications:

• StevenBlackburnMBA
    StevenBlackburnMBA ✭✭✭✭✭

Just noticed you thought the same thing :)

Certifications:

• Hi @StevenBlackburnMBA ,

I think you are right. I typically just put in the JOIN function reflexively but the link to cell would work just as well in this case and does preserve the % format.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!