Backup Functionality: Questions Regarding Existing Options and Possible Future Enhancements

Sandra Guzman
Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Smartsheet community!

I know there are a couple of options right now that can be done to backup our Smartsheet items.

Option 1) Backup data following steps included in link copied below. This process does not include reports or dashboards, and will provide the backup in form of an Excel (.xlxs) file.

Option 2) Use the Backup Tool which is written in Java. Based on some of the language on the site, this is an experimental app.

"The Backup Tool is an experimental app built by Smartsheet. This app is not an official Smartsheet product, and not officially tested or documented. We make no commitment or warranty that this app will work or be continuously available. For more information, see our experimental app User Agreement."

I have two questions:

Q1) Are there any future plans to release functionality that will allow for the backup to include actual Smartsheet sheets with formulas, reports and dashboards?

Q2) Has the backup Tool listed in option 2 above moved past the experimental phase? I saw some posts from 2019 that suggested this as an option for backing up items in Smartsheet.

Thanks for your time!

Sandra

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sandra Guzman

I can confirm that the Backup Tool is still experimental, but I don't have an ETA or knowledge of future enhancements to the current in-app backup feature. Please let the Product team know about your use case and scenario through this form, here. They review each submission and it helps to know the context behind each request.

Another way to save your data would be to use the "save as new" feature to create a Copy of your Workspace or Folder, including Dashboards and Reports. This would keep a sort of snapshot of your data from one point in time.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sandra Guzman

I can confirm that the Backup Tool is still experimental, but I don't have an ETA or knowledge of future enhancements to the current in-app backup feature. Please let the Product team know about your use case and scenario through this form, here. They review each submission and it helps to know the context behind each request.

Another way to save your data would be to use the "save as new" feature to create a Copy of your Workspace or Folder, including Dashboards and Reports. This would keep a sort of snapshot of your data from one point in time.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Sandra Guzman
    Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Genevieve P. !

Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate it.

I will definitely submit the form. Data governance is a hot topic as our enterprise is rolling out Smartsheet to more groups and we have alot of complex reports feeding a wide range of dashboards.. This week a variety of data loss protection and business continuity have come my way since we are only using the backup option that runs weekly at this point.

Thanks!

Sandra

• Seth Morth
    Seth Morth ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Genevieve P.,

I have a cranky Sys Admin because the tool does not work as it exceeds the rate limit. This is a big big deal for us, and I will put in a product request, but if there is any leverage you could put into delivery of this and other real Administrator solutions that would be wonderful!

Thank you!

• Seth