Summing the multiplication of two columns

Options

Hello,

I would like to know how to use a formula to multiply two columns and sum the results over multiple rows.

My columns are "salary" and "percent_work" (that is, 1.0 = full time, 0.5 = half time, etc.). My rows are the employees.

I need to multiply salary * percent_work and sum over all employees to obtain the total amount of payroll. Is there a formula for that?

Thanks

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Ligia

The easiest way to do this is to add a helper column for the multiplication

=salary@row * [percent_work]@row

The sum, which if desired could be collected in a Sheet Summary field (found in the right hand menu on sheet) since it is a single value for the entire sheet, becomes

=SUM([helper column]:[helper column])

Be sure to change all the column references to your actual column names

Does this work for you?

Kelly

• Ligia
    Options

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your answer. I am hoping there is a way to do this without a helper column. The reason is that I need to do this operation for about 25 columns, so that would mean adding 25 helper columns.

Is it possible to do this without a helper column?

Thanks,

Ligia

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ligia

Maybe other community members can provide alternatives. The 25 other columns- are these separate arithmetic operations? Can some/all of the operations be combined in a single or few formula(s)?

• Ligia
    Options

The 25 columns are different projects. Each employee works on one or more projects.

Thanks for trying to help.

Ligia

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!