Contact List Formula

Khari Shiver
Khari Shiver ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 08/09/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hello,

I'm not sure if my approach is correct but I'm trying to use an IF statement in a contact column to have a specific contact listed based on the value in another column. The formula is fairly straightforward, but the problem I'm having is the IF statement displays the result as text. I did some digging and there seems to be a way to use INDEX and MATCH to accomplish what I'd like to do but I don't fully understand the syntax. I've not been able to find any examples that illustrate it either.

In a nutshell I have a form that in part collects the supervisor, called "Supervisor 1" which is a contact column, for a new hire. If the new hire is a shared employee a value of "Yes" is in the "Shared Employee" column. I have a third column called "Shared Supervisor" that is also a contact column. There's a third "Supervisor" column into which I would like the value in "Supervisor 1" to populate if "Shared Employee" is "No" or the value in "Shared Supervisor" to populate if "Shared Employee" is "Yes." Via an IF statement, I can get the desired behavior but it's just text. I'd like it to be a contact and I'm not sure how to achieve that.

Thank you.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Khari Shiver

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If either Supervisor 1 or Shared Supervisor is filled in for each(and assuming the two columns are next to each other), then you can use

=INDEX(COLLECT([Supervisor 1]@row:[Shared Supervisor]@row, [Supervisor 1]@row:[Shared Supervisor]@row, @cell <> ""), 1)

This will pull whichever column is not blank.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!