Multiple IF's the way to go ??

Dan Crimmins
Dan Crimmins ✭✭✭✭
edited 08/10/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hi all,

I have a column named "Site Name" this column is a drop-down single select with all our site names (approx 20 different options) for the sake of this post I will call them

Rome, London, Paris, Tokyo, New York, Milan

The user selects the site name via a form and this is reflected in the cell in the appropriate row.

I would like to add a column named "Region" and in this column have a formula that looks to the "Site Name" and returns a value.

So for example, if the user selected "Rome" then the formula would return "Europe" in the region column if however the user selected "New York" the region would change to US and so on and so forth.

What would be the most elegant and economic way to achieve this?

Thanks

Dan

Answers

• AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯
    AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dan Crimmins

I hope you're well and safe!

You can either use a multi IF formula or an INDEX/MATCH structure.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

βœ…Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Dan Crimmins
    Dan Crimmins ✭✭✭✭

Can you show me a short working example of how I would use that in the example in my question ?

Thanks

Dan

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest going the INDEX/MATCH route if you have a lot of different options.

First you would need to build a table in another sheet that has each option and the corresponding value listed out.

Rome, London, Paris, Tokyo, New York, Milan

"Rome" then the formula would return "Europe" in the region column if however the user selected "New York" the region would change to US

Rome..........Europe

London.......UK

Paris...........Europe

New York...US

Then in your working sheet where you pull the data to, you would (using the appropriate steps for creating cross sheet references) use a formula such as this:

=INDEX({Table Sheet Region Column}, MATCH([Dropdown Column]@row, {Table Sheet City Column}, 0))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Dan Crimmins
    Dan Crimmins ✭✭✭✭

Great thanks for your replies both.

Paul, I used your suggestion of another sheet and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again for your help and all the best

Dan

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. πŸ‘οΈ

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!