Decimal to Binary or Working with IPs

Good morning, all.

I'm trying to put together an input form to validate IP addresses we get from our customers. This would be to automatically check if, for instance, the gateway is actually in-range of the provided IP/Netmask combo, which is a common mistake we see. I don't see any built in functions that can work with IP addresses, nor is there a decimal-to-binary/binary-to-decimal set of functions to let me build it myself.

Has anybody tried to tackle this one before?

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/10/21

Hi @Chris Gill

Hope you are fine, please check the following post for formatting IP addresses I created before.

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/comment/271713

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say that I am the most familiar with the technical side of what you are wanting to accomplish, but even if there are not functions to directly convert decimal to binary or the other way around, I have built out solutions that converted letters to numbers and ran further calculations on them. If you are able to provide some more details, we may be able to come up with a solution.

How long is an IP address? Is there a specific format? Are you able to build a conversion table (or find one you can copy online)?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!