Return cell value

Options

I would like this cell, Actual Ship Date, at the top to return the date in row 213 Task Start Date column.

So the value should return 9/21/23.

In excel, all I have to do it = and click on the cell. How do I do this in Smartsheet?

Best Answers

• Anabisdally Castro
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Katie,

If I understand your ask what you are looking for is a cell reference - you want one cell to be equivalent to another in the same sheet.

You should be able to do it the same way you do it in excel , click the cell where you want the data to go, then "=" and then click on the cell that you will pull the data from - that should bring the value over from the other cell.

Make sure you don't have a column constraint to drop specific dropdown values and you are using the same column type - in other words - if a column is a text column, you will get an error if you try to link it to cell for a date column.

• Katie Aldrich
    Katie Aldrich ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I had to make a completely new date column for it to work but this is not ideal since the balance of the column will be blank. :(

Answers

• Anabisdally Castro
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Katie,

If I understand your ask what you are looking for is a cell reference - you want one cell to be equivalent to another in the same sheet.

You should be able to do it the same way you do it in excel , click the cell where you want the data to go, then "=" and then click on the cell that you will pull the data from - that should bring the value over from the other cell.

Make sure you don't have a column constraint to drop specific dropdown values and you are using the same column type - in other words - if a column is a text column, you will get an error if you try to link it to cell for a date column.

• Katie Aldrich
    Options

No that is not working and it is a date column and I am trying to return a date cell.

• Katie Aldrich
    Katie Aldrich ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I had to make a completely new date column for it to work but this is not ideal since the balance of the column will be blank. :(

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!