Chevron-based on Parent Task (level 1) dashboard graphic

I would like to add a visual to a Dashboard that is based on the top-level summary tasks of my project schedule. This would be a reader-friendly, consumable way to view a Gantt chart. I see that SmartSheets uses this visual for tracking internal training, and thus I have found it to be a helpful "quick glance" at progress. Can this be built for a dashboard?

Essentially the "Dominos pizza tracker" for my project schedule. Any advice?

Best Answer

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @E. Robert Shanfeld

I created a test with using the progress bar symbol & from there, I used that to be placed in a dashboard using a Metrics widget. See my sample setup below.

My Sample sheet with showing the progress bar for the task under the project & the overall progress bar. I used the formula below to calculate for the progress bar based on the % complete.

=IF(ISBLANK([% Complete]@row), "Empty", IF([% Complete]@row <= 0.24, "Quarter", IF([% Complete]@row <= 0.49, "Half", IF([% Complete]@row <= 0.99, "Three Quarter", IF([% Complete]@row = 1, "Full", "Empty")))))

I used the AVG function to calculate the overall % for the sub-tasks.

From there, in the dashboard - I had selected the first chunk which is for Project A.

Then I used a Metric Widget to have that progress bar reflect the overall status of Project A. Same goes for Project B & the following single Projects you have.

Let me know if this helps or if you have further questions & I misunderstood your question! Thank you~

Cheers,

Krissia

Answers

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator

We currently do not have a programmed capability for that specific feature to replicate a tracker similar to the Domino's Pizza Tracker, but it is a really great idea! I recommend submitting an enhancement request to be considered for future development.

In the meantime, an alternate solution is to have the data be pulled into a Chart Widget & have this in a Dashboard. In the sample image below, I used the Stacked Bar type to showcase a progress for the projects. See sample image below for reference.

More information in the link below.

Using Chart Widgets

Let us know if you have further questions. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Krissia

• Hi Krissia--that is helpful for running a collection of projects (i.e. program or portfolio), however, I am looking to show progress within 1 project. I am looking to show which summary tasks are complete, and which are not. Could this be done based on a web widget of sorts?

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator
    Answer ✓

I created a test with using the progress bar symbol & from there, I used that to be placed in a dashboard using a Metrics widget. See my sample setup below.

My Sample sheet with showing the progress bar for the task under the project & the overall progress bar. I used the formula below to calculate for the progress bar based on the % complete.

=IF(ISBLANK([% Complete]@row), "Empty", IF([% Complete]@row <= 0.24, "Quarter", IF([% Complete]@row <= 0.49, "Half", IF([% Complete]@row <= 0.99, "Three Quarter", IF([% Complete]@row = 1, "Full", "Empty")))))

I used the AVG function to calculate the overall % for the sub-tasks.

From there, in the dashboard - I had selected the first chunk which is for Project A.

Then I used a Metric Widget to have that progress bar reflect the overall status of Project A. Same goes for Project B & the following single Projects you have.

Let me know if this helps or if you have further questions & I misunderstood your question! Thank you~

Cheers,

Krissia