#Invalid Operation Error with dates

Options

I'm trying to write an IF formula to identify whenever a date is in the past with a "Yes" or "No" response.

I have tried 2 techniques.

Technique 1: =IF([End Date]@row<TODAY(),"Yes","No") - result is #Invalid Operation

Technique 2: created a second column filled with =TODAY(). Then, I tried: =IF([End Date]@row<[Today's Date]@row,"Yes","No") - result is #Invalid Operation

Notes:

[End Date] and [Today's Date] are both date column. The column where I am putting this formula is a Text Column

In the same column, I entered this formula: =IF([Start Date]@row<[End Date]@row,"Yes","No") - result is Yes as expected. Substituting [Today's Date] in either spot in the formula brings back #Invalid Operation.

Any suggestions or corrections are appreciated.

Best Answer

• AFlint
    AFlint ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I actually think I figured it out. The [End Date] was extracted from a string with a RIGHT(...) formula, so I don't think the system is actually seeing it as a date.

Answers

• AFlint
    AFlint ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I actually think I figured it out. The [End Date] was extracted from a string with a RIGHT(...) formula, so I don't think the system is actually seeing it as a date.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!