Counting unique values with 2 criteria

I am looking for a formula that will help me summarize the count of unique values on another sheet.

Criteria 1: Office abbreviation (ex: ABC)

Criteria 2: Unique name

I am trying to get a count of Criteria 2 for each office (Criteria 1)

I tried

=COUNTIFS((DISTINCT{Criteria 2})),<>"",{Criteria 1},"ABC")

Return: #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET

I tested the first half- =COUNTIFS((DISTINCT{Criteria 2})),<>"") and it returned the correct count for the single criteria

I tested the second half- =COUNTIFS({Criteria 1},"ABC") and also received the correct count for the single criteria

Is there something else I can do to combine these to get only the ones that meet both criteria?

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@AFlint 

Please try the following formula:

=IFERROR(COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT([Unique Names]:[Unique Names], Office:Office, 
    @cell = "Office 1"))), "")

the following screenshot shows the result:

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AFlint 

Hope you are fine, Please add a copy of your sheet or a screenshot (after removing or replacing any sensitive information). This will make it easier for me to provide the appropriate answer to your question.

My Email for sharing : Bassam.k@mobilproject.it

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• AFlint
    AFlint ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Bassam Khalil

Attached is a screenshot of a simplified version of the sheet.

I'm trying to get a count of unique values in "Unique Names" when they are in Office 1. The attached would return 2, since "Unique 1" appears twice. The way I have my sheet set up, the names only appear if the box is checked urgent (the underlying formula is First Name + Last Name). For this reason, I only get a count of the Urgent rows because they are the only rows that have names in them.

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@AFlint 

Please try the following formula:

@cell = "Office 1"))), "")

the following screenshot shows the result:

PMP Certified

• AFlint
    AFlint ✭✭✭✭

Thank you! Now, one follow up question- would this allow me to add additional factors? For example, if I wanted to add a third criteria for status or similar? If so, where in the string would I add it?

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@AFlint

Please add a copy of your sheet or a screenshot (after removing or replacing any sensitive information). This will make it easier for me to provide the appropriate answer to your question.

Or if you like me to fix the formula directly on your sheet please share me as an admin on a sample copy of your sheets ( Source & Destination ) and i will Create the exact formula for you then you can copy it to your original sheet.

My Email for sharing : Bassam.k@mobilproject.it

PMP Certified

• AFlint
    AFlint ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I don't actually have an example- I'm just asking out of curiosity in case the situation ever arises.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@AFlint

The following formula show if we need to add Status for example ( Completed )

@cell = "Office 1", Status:Status, @cell = "Completed"))), "")

the following screenshot shows the result

PMP Certified

• AFlint
    AFlint ✭✭✭✭
  • Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@AFlint

You are welcome

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!