IF and IS BLANK to check dates

Hi Smartsheet community,

I have three columns: Late (Y/N), Due Date, and Submission Closed Date. In the Late (Y/N), I have a formula to first check if the Due Date has passed the Submission Closed Date. If it is then, "yes" is filled in the Late (Y/N) column. If the Submission Closed Date is blank, then it checks to see if the Due Date has passed today's date. Again, if it is, then "yes" is filled in the column. If not on both checks, it fills "No" in the Late (Y/N) column.

I tried this but I get an #Incorrect Argument error.

=IF(ISBLANK([Submission Closed Date]@row, [Due Date]@row > [Submission Closed Date]@row, [Due Date]@row > TODAY()), "Yes", "No")

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Glenn

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

=IF(AND(ISDATE([Submission Closed date]@row),ISDATE([Due date]@row)), IF( [Due Date]@row > TODAY()), "Yes", IF(ISBLANK([Submission Closed Date]@row), IF([Due Date]@row > today(), "yes", "No")))

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

=IF(AND(ISDATE([Submission Closed date]@row),ISDATE([Due date]@row)), IF( [Due Date]@row > TODAY()), "Yes", IF(ISBLANK([Submission Closed Date]@row), IF([Due Date]@row > today(), "yes", "No")))

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer. This formula didn't work but it got me thinking and I was able to resolve with this solution -

=IF(OR(ISDATE([Submission Closed Date]@row) > ISDATE([Due Date]@row), AND(ISBLANK([Submission Closed Date]@row), TODAY() > [Due Date]@row)), "Yes", "No")

I appreciate your help.

Glenn

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!