Could someone help me with this formula to calculate the overall rating?

In the formula, I'm trying to SUM criteria 1, 2 & 3, but the numeric value changes based on the text in the fields. For example, IF criteria 1="SOMETIMES" give a value of 3, IF criteria 1="OFTEN" give a value of 4, IF criteria 1="ALWAYS" give a 5. This would be the same for criteria 2 and 3.

So based on the above rating in each category, the overall rating should be 14, but I'm obviously doing something wrong :-( since this should be 15:

Appreciate any assistance.

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey@melody.cooley71056

With the columns being contiguous, consider using a COUNTIFs approach. This will count how many of each type response you have and multiply by the appropriate amount. If, for some reason, an error occurs then the result of the cell will be zero,

=IFERROR(5 * COUNTIFS([Stellar Criteria 1 - Express ideas]@row:[Stellar Criteria 3 - Clearly explains]@row, "Always") + 4 * COUNTIFS([Stellar Criteria 1 - Express ideas]@row:[Stellar Criteria 3 - Clearly explains]@row, "Often")+ 3 * COUNTIFS([Stellar Criteria 1 - Express ideas]@row:[Stellar Criteria 3 - Clearly explains]@row, "Sometimes"),0)

Would this work for you?

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey@melody.cooley71056

With the columns being contiguous, consider using a COUNTIFs approach. This will count how many of each type response you have and multiply by the appropriate amount. If, for some reason, an error occurs then the result of the cell will be zero,

=IFERROR(5 * COUNTIFS([Stellar Criteria 1 - Express ideas]@row:[Stellar Criteria 3 - Clearly explains]@row, "Always") + 4 * COUNTIFS([Stellar Criteria 1 - Express ideas]@row:[Stellar Criteria 3 - Clearly explains]@row, "Often")+ 3 * COUNTIFS([Stellar Criteria 1 - Express ideas]@row:[Stellar Criteria 3 - Clearly explains]@row, "Sometimes"),0)

Would this work for you?

• Oh, wow! Didn't consider that, but yes, this would and does work :-) Thank you!!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!