Multiple IF statements

I am trying to use multiple IF statements and it is not working. For example, I have a column called "HCSA Goal Alignment" which has three conditions that a user can choose. The three conditions are:

·       Does not meet (Low priority = 5 points)

·       Partially meets (Medium priority = 10 points)

·       Completely meets (High priority = 15 points)

I have created another column called "Score" where I am trying to create a formula with multiple IF statements to calculate the result (5, 10, or 15) based on the above three inputs. Here is my formula:

·       =IF([HCSA Goal Alignment]@row = "Does not meet (Low priority =5 points)", "5", IF([HCSA Goal Alignment]@row = "Partially meets (Medium priority =10 points)", "10", IF([HCSA Goal Alignment]@row = "Completely meets = (High priority = 15points)", "15")))

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sharad Jain

The formula is built correctly, and it matches the column name. I tested it in my sheet and it works for me - can you post a screen capture with the formula open, like so:

Check to make sure that the column reference is recognizing the column like mine - it will light up in specific colours. Mine are blue and pink. Does yours look like this?

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• hollyconradsmith
    hollyconradsmith ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Sharad Jain ,

You should not need to put "" around numbers. Try removing the quotation marks and see if that clears up your issues.

You also do not have a complete if statement for your last statement. Maybe add , 0 after the , 15 to add 0 points if nothing is selected.

Holly Conrad Smith

Director of Technology & Innovation 💡 at Streamline

CliftonStrengths Top 5: Deliberative, Restorative, Achiever, Consistency, Harmony

• Hi @hollyconradsmith,

I have removed the quotations around numbers. So it only calculates and returns a value of 5 if the input is "Does not meet (Low priority = 5 points) but it does not return any value (10 or 15) if the input is either  "Partially meets (Medium priority =10 points) or "Completely meets = (High priority = 15points). Here's my formula without the quotations around numbers:

=IF([HCSA Goal Alignment]@row = "Does not meet (Low priority =5 points)", 5, IF([HCSA Goal Alignment]@row = "Partially meets (Medium priority =10 points)", 10, IF([HCSA Goal Alignment]@row = "Completely meets = (High priority = 15 points)", 15)))

• Hello,

I am trying to create an IF statement to calculate "Low",

"Medium", or "High" based on the following logic:

·       <= 25 should give "Low"

·       26-45 should give "Medium"

·       >= 46 should give “High”

Here’s the formula I am using-

=IF ([Total Priority Score]@row

<=25,"Low", IF ([Total Priority Score]@row >=46,

• "High", "Medium")))

• Hi @Sharad Jain

You have an extra closing parentheses at the end of your IF statement. Try this:

=IF([Total Priority Score]@row <=25, "Low", IF([Total Priority Score]@row >=46, "High", "Medium"))

If this doesn't work, can you post a screen capture of your sheet, blocking out sensitive data?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P. ,

I removed the extra parentheses at the end and it is still showing "#Unparseable". Here's the screenshot below:

Thanks,

Sharad

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sharad Jain

The formula is built correctly, and it matches the column name. I tested it in my sheet and it works for me - can you post a screen capture with the formula open, like so:

Check to make sure that the column reference is recognizing the column like mine - it will light up in specific colours. Mine are blue and pink. Does yours look like this?

• Hi @Genevieve P. ,

Thanks, let me quickly check and get back to you.

• @Genevieve P. - Thank you so much! It is working now. The column references were not lighting up.

Appreciate your help.

• I'm glad you got it working!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!