Column order in charts

Kegan Copas
Kegan Copas ✭✭
edited 09/29/21 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi all,

Great to see the addition of allowing Report Summaries to be included in Charts, however I am experiencing a major flaw that is stopping me leveraging this capability fully!

I have my source data and reports leveraging a naming convention of Weeks and Months, all sorted alphabetically. When i bring this data thru to Charts Smartsheet seems to apply a random, illogical ordering of the data! No longer taking in the order the data is held in the source sheets & reports or the order the data is assigned into the Chart!

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried changing the naming of the Source Data with no luck to date!

Regards

Kegan

Answers

• Meredith Luschen
    Meredith Luschen ✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/30/21

I'm having the same problem. Fiscal Years are not sorting correctly: - even though they are in the correct order in the report (source data). I've tried rearranging the columns in the report and they do change on the chart, but I can't find the correct pattern to make this work.

Also, the order changes every time I refresh the page. HELP!

• Christina09
    Christina09 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kegan Copas @Meredith Luschen

Maybe you can try to deselect all columns in the chart widget and select reselect the columns in the order you want. That works for me

• Meredith Luschen
    Meredith Luschen ✭✭✭✭

I tried unchecking all columns and adding them back in in the desired order but still get the same unsorted order that changes with each page refresh.

• I've tried the same with no luck. Have also tried renaming the columns thinking they might work alphabetically...again no luck!

Smartsheet, any response on this?

• I'm having the same issue. Smartsheet-my columns in my report keep appearing in the wrong order in the column chart I have in my dashboard. How can I ensure they are in the correct order? It's really not useful unless they are in the right order.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi all,

I'm able to reproduce this when both grouping and summary are applied to the chart's source report.

I've checked in with our Support team and they confirmed this is a known issue that we're actively working to resolve. I don't have an ETA for when a fix will be applied, but we're working on it!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• @Genevieve P. can you please notify me when this bug is fixed? This is integral to my team's work.

• @Genevieve P.

I notice you have now released the ability to leverage Reporting Groups and Filters in Dashboards.....but.....

without the ability to ensure we can manage the order of the columns the functionality is totally useless!

When could we expect an update and fix on this bug?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Ella Pestine and @Kegan Copas

I'll post again on this thread once we've had a confirmed fix for this bug. We're still identifying the exact cause for the change in order but our team is actively engaged in investigating this issue. Thank you for your patience!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Any news on this fix @Genevieve P. ? Sorry to chase but I'm actually finding the benefits of the charting are now in question if we cannot correctly order our data visually!!

• Genevieve P.
    edited 10/21/21

Hi @Kegan Copas

This bug is still in progress and we are working on a resolution.

One thing that we could do in the meantime is set up a Metric Sheet, using cross-sheet formulas to gather your data, then use this helper sheet as the source for your chart. Would this work for you? If you need help building out the formulas I'd be happy to take a look - please post screen captures of your source sheet(s), identifying the data you want to capture, but block out any sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Conor
    Conor ✭✭

@Genevieve P. I'm having the same problem. What I've noticed is that the columns only become out of order when I have the "Summarize" function on the report. If I take it off then the columns appear on the chart as the source data has them. The issue is, I need my chart to read the Sum of everything on the report. Looking forward to a fix soon

• Nasir@EBC
    Nasir@EBC ✭✭✭
    edited 10/25/21

Hello @Kegan Copas

I'm also facing the same issue.

Regarding your suggestion on the Metric Sheet, yes we can pull the data BUT... we cannot "dynamically" filter it based on some specific dates! (as we can, through the reports).

For example, if we filter last 7-day data in a sheet, then it will update that data ONLY when I open that sheet! So it's pointless.

Please let me know once this issue is resolved.

I'm working on a very large project using WorkApps, and am stuck now due to this issue.

Thanks

• Whilst the reporting function has been a great improvement with the ability to sum on a report, the charting function looks like a backwards step if you can't have the columns display in a logical order.

Makes the whole dashboard concept almost useless until this bug is fixed and looking forward to a quick solution.

• Hi @Genevieve P. , any news on this bug fix?

Regards

Kegan