Multiple Approval and levels of Escalation

I seem to be running into a brick wall. I am trying to set up an approval process that can have multiple tiers. I have a worksheet that assigns someone based on the territory. All the while I am needing to track on the worksheet where the approval is currently...

• Territory: CA, WA, AZ = Bill Jones, ID, NV OR = Bob Smith; OK, TX, LA = Sam Rayburn, etc... (Approve, Deny, Escalate)
  • 1st Escalation: Bill & Bob -> Martha Jamison, Sam _> Stuart Little (Approve, Deny, Escalate)
  • 2nd Escalation: Martha & Stuart -> Roger Weaver (Approve, Deny, Escalate)
  • 3rd Escalation: Roger -> Brian Parchesee (Approve, Deny)

On the request I am setting the Assigned to based on a table I created in another worksheet and Vlookup. However, that is where I am stuck. I cannot figure out how to change the status to Escalate and update the Assigned to based on the previous owner.

paul e. reeves

Principal Business Analyst

HMH

Answers

• Paul Reeves
    Paul Reeves Overachievers

I was able to break through the wall.

In the support worksheet I created a table that consisted of the Territory, Contact, and Escalation Level (Submitted = 0, 1st Escalation = 1, 2nd Escalation = 2... I then created multiple workflows that looked at the Status and Level. If the Status is Escalate and Level is 1 then I change the Level to 2 and set the Status to Pending. A Vlookup looks at the Escalation Level & Territory to pull in the next person for the Assigned To. Setting the Status to Pending allows the next user to update to Escalate.

Would love to hear if anyone has any other solutions.

Thank you.

paul e. reeves

Principal Business Analyst

HMH

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!